Small engine ignition coil diode question.

/ Small engine ignition coil diode question. #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
I have a Subaru 2 cylinder EH720 engine. I'm putting 2 new ignition coils on it. I noticed the Stop Diode was not connected to the coils. Each coil has one spade terminal. THe stop diode has a single wire unused with a spade connector which looks like it reaches the nearest coil.
My questions: Should I connect this wire to both coils or just the close coil? And could this diode being not connected have caused the coils to fail?

Attachments

• IMG_3730.JPG
    IMG_3730.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 34
  • SD uprght.JPG
    SD uprght.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 38
   / Small engine ignition coil diode question. #2  
Nope. The diode just stops stray voltage going to kill switch and biting you like in the old days of the metal tab on the spark plug. Coils die from heat and weather exposure.

/ Small engine ignition coil diode question.
Nope. The diode just stops stray voltage going to kill switch and biting you like in the old days of the metal tab on the spark plug. Coils die from heat and weather exposure.
Thanks Topzide.I'm gonna give hooking them up a try

/ Small engine ignition coil diode question.
FYI - put the new ignition coils in. Found the hidden SD wire for the second coil, hooked em both up. Starts and runs like a champ. Dunno why the SD was disconnected previously :unsure: anyway it starts and runs good now. I did solder the plug wire to the clip. Thanks somebody for that tip.
Now on to the brakes, new master cylinder going in today

/ Small engine ignition coil diode question. #5  
scootr
As soon as yer done you can install a ignition coil
on my troy built horse tiller :unsure:

willy