Small engine trouble.

/ Small engine trouble. #11  
The part about movement causing it to stumble makes me think something isn't tight. I'd start it and individually shake every part that's not supposed to move and can be safely shook. If shaking a certain part makes it stumble that's a good place to inspect.

/ Small engine trouble.
The part about movement causing it to stumble makes me think something isn't tight. I'd start it and individually shake every part that's not supposed to move and can be safely shook. If shaking a certain part makes it stumble that's a good place to inspect.

I have done that already but your thought was mine also, I was thinking an air leak. I’m still not sure I don’t have something loose.

/ Small engine trouble. #13  
Look at the governor linkages and controls. Make sure they move freely

/ Small engine trouble.
Yeah, the governor not working crossed my mind. I may have someone else run it while I watch the throttle.

/ Small engine trouble. #15  
Do you find that choking it slightly improves things? Or that the main has to be adjusted richer than normal?

/ Small engine trouble.
I fixed it, mostly. I had a spring at the base of the gas tank the hooks up to the governor in the wrong hole. I took the air cleaner off and when I engaged to tiller I could see the throttle wasn’t pulling open.

Do you find that choking it slightly improves things? Or that the main has to be adjusted richer than normal?
To answer that question maybe. It’s running good but not great. I put the tiller in the dirt and ran it maybe 2 minutes. Ran fine. I let it run while I wheeled it to my shop and it started stumbling. It seems like you need to play with the mixture screw to keep it running perfect.

Thanks everyone, the tips help. Egons tip on the governor got me thinking about that.

/ Small engine trouble.
I think it’s running pretty good now. I put some more fresh gas in it, a little Sea Foam, tweaked the mixture screw a little, and it seems to be running good now. No stumbles or anything.

/ Small engine trouble. #18  
One thing I've come across when engine runs great for a few minutes and then not is a plugged vent hole in gas cap... 4 or 5 times now.

/ Small engine trouble. #19  
Any more issues...it may just not be worth it.

Hard to beat the $99 predator from HF.

/ Small engine trouble.
That has been thought about also, a new engine.