Small improvement for L3400

/ Small improvement for L3400 #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
If your like me, you probably have a lot of time on your hands these days. One think about my L3400 that bothered me was my tendency to apply the parking brake to prevent creep, and then to forget to release it. No big deal, but in low range, you can travel a bit before you have the "dah!" moment. So, I found a micro switch and a spare LED indicator light in my junk collections, and wired up a warning light for whenever the tractor is running and the brake is on. Who knows, it may get old having a bright red light on, and I haven't used it yet, but we'll see. Here're some photos showing the switch installation, in operation with the brake pressed, and so forth. It's not really as bright as in the photo, but it is visible. Sorry for the crappy photos, but it's been raining and the barn lights are minimal.

thumbnail_IMG_0098[2].jpg thumbnail_IMG_0113[2].jpg thumbnail_IMG_0114[1].jpg thumbnail_IMG_0103[1].jpg

/ Small improvement for L3400 #2  
What triggers the light to come on - manual switch? I would assume you have it wired to put power to the switch when key is turned on. Don’t know how your parking brake is set up but making a bracket to attach the switch to so that when the parking brake is set to park it would depress the plunger on the switch to complete circuit to the light illuminating it. This way you don’t have to remember to turn the switch on.

/ Small improvement for L3400 #3  
I think it is a big improvement. Nice job.
My M-series tractors had a “brake on” warning light. M59 has two different parking brakes and warning lights. Like you I had to make one for the B26. The bracket and hole for a rear motorcycle brake switch was already under the dash.
IMG_0487.JPG
It’s bright and obvious! Wife picked the color (purple, probably the color of my face!) and no more discussions about operating with the brake on. Much cheaper than marriage counseling.

/ Small improvement for L3400
Yup- its a "manual" micro switch, which is activated by depressing the brake pedal, and it is wired so it's hot only when the tractor is running. See the first photo to see the switch, its wiper arm attachment, and how it's mounted to the cover plate from the brake assembly.

/ Small improvement for L3400 #5  
I also have the darndest time trying to remember to release the brake before moving. Where does one find a micro switch and a spare LED indicator?

/ Small improvement for L3400 #6  
I have a L3800 and I wish it had 2 things. 1. Brake light and 2. horn. I've become attuned to the sound of the brake on, but my wife and kids haven't. They'd drive around all day and never figure it out. The horn would be nice for getting someone's attention when you're working together.

/ Small improvement for L3400 #7  
I also have the darndest time trying to remember to release the brake before moving. Where does one find a micro switch and a spare LED indicator?

Used a mini round truck/trailer led marker light. 3/4” hole. Waterproof, sealed, rubber grommet mounted, $2-3each. Amazon, eBay or truck stop.

Linked switch to parking brake handle.