small Subcompact VS larger Deere 2520/3320?

/ small Subcompact VS larger Deere 2520/3320? #1  

Ramairfreak98ss

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferris/Simplicity/John Deere
ok, so im a die hard simplicity fan , sorta, I also like JD too.

Ive had my heart set on a Legacy XL even though ive NEVER actually seen one in person yet or driven one. Dealers just never stock them or carry them, due to high cost i guess. I hope to drive one some day regaurdless. Ive priced out the following legacy XL below and its prices, then started comparing to a JD of similar size, even though ive only considereed the legacy or going to a larger JD model 2520 or 3320 1700-3000 lb tractors.

Legacy XL 4x4
27HP Diesel
3pt hitch option
FL500 Loader "500lb"
Ballast weight box
AG Tires "upgraded over turf" but not Industrial tires
60" Mower "not a neccessity though" just priced out $1500~ by itself

My dealer is already trying to shave down the numbers here because ive bought a lot from them in the past/currently.

Tractor itself is around $9700~
Loader is almost $3,300~ with ballast
Mower $1,500~

I would be upto approx $14,500 plus 6% PA Sales tax Now for the "small" sized compact tractor this is with loader 27hp seems like a big motor, not that i oppose, most JD stuff is much larger in size at least with 26.5HP for the 2520 model. This also doesnt include the Simplicity ROPS that i feel i should have which could add another $500 or so.

This also doesnt include loader assembly since i guess its quick way will ship the dealer the loader all boxed up. He gets no kickback or labor costs from simplicity for the setup of anything asside from the machine and feels it could take a couple of his shop guys 4-5 hours to complete the prep for the loader, ballast and hydraulics by the diagrams he sees.

So its looks like its $15k~ plus I STILL have to assemble the loader myself, to save some money on my part.

The JD 2305 24hp tractor 4x4
200CX loader "lifts 985lbs"
Hydro trans
62C mid mount side discharge mower "not 7iron deck"
ballast box with loader
R4 industrial tires "my best pick"

$15,843, most dealers give 10% off which is $14,258.70 and its ready to roll plus tax.

I have a 14k credit line on Simplicity/Ferris financing offers, they currently do not have any 0% deal better than 3 months.

The JD offers i think a 24mo 0% on this tractor since it is a small unit, and 36mo 0% on the 2520 and 3000 models.

Ive also priced out the 2520 26.5hp at $16,901 with
200 CX loader
Ballast box
HST Hydro trans
R4 tires
machine weighs 1700-1800 lbs without loader

and a

JD 3320 32hp Diesel 4x4 tractor weighs 2900~ lbs without loader
300cx loader lifts 1600lbs
e-Hydro with loadmatch, cruise control
R4 tires
Ballast Box
Hood gaurd
Heavy duty 73" bucket with replaceable cutting edge
$21,090

Pending i can actually be approved for JD 0% financing offer for 36mo, i cant see spending 15k on the simplicity when for a cheaper price including assembly the JD 2305 can be had, or pay a few thousand more for a much more "tractor" of a machine for the 2520 or a beefy 3320 for my loader use.

Any reason why simplicity is MORE money than JD? Is it because they dont sell many Legacy XLs? The legacy IS comparably priced with the JD X500 and X700 series though, im assuming because theyre SO compact they charge extra for that i guess.

/ small Subcompact VS larger Deere 2520/3320? #2  
Most items are priced what the market will bear. As for the Legacy it is priced competitivly for it's market share. It's main competitor is the JD x700.
Both are high end lawn mowing machines. If you want a super lawn mower that is also capable of front end loader use and has 3 pt hitch capacity as well, then these are the machines of choice. Simplicity sells a fair amount of these machines.

However, if you want a small chore sub compact tractor then that opens the door up substantially. While the Legacy and Deere x700 can be used in this capacity, thay are not built quite as heavily as say a JD 2305 or Kubota BX 23. The legacy will probably outperform these as a lawn mower with tighter turning radius etc., but not be as good at front end loader work etc.

So it basically depends on what you will be using the tractor for. As far as a subcompact tractor goes, the market just has several more competitors so they tend to be priced accordingly. I do think you get more for your dollar from a BX 23, Massey GC series, or John Deere 2305 than you do for a John Deere x700 or Simplicity Legacy although these machines are designed for slightly different audiences in mind.

By the way I'm a Simplicity fan as well.

Last edited:
   / small Subcompact VS larger Deere 2520/3320? #3  
I looked long and hard at the XL before purchasing my GC2300. There were two main points that pushed me toward the GC...First, the price of the XL seemed quite high even with the lower HP diesel engine. Second, I also think that 27 HP is actually too much for loader work (which is my primary task- don't have a mower). With that much power I felt that the power to weight ratio actually would make it perform worse with more tire spin due to the light weight. If my primary task was mowing I would have bought the XL (simplicity makes some of the highest quality lawn mowers out there). The higher HP could potentially allow you to use a larger 3pt hitch mower/rough cut mower but I don't think the tractor chassis could handle it on a regular basis.

In general the subCUTs are priced higher because there are so many features in a small and capable package. BTW, I paid ~11,800 out the door with loader (incuding 7% tax in NC). My father paid around ~13k for a JD 2210 with FEL and woods back-blade in MA.

W

/ small Subcompact VS larger Deere 2520/3320? #4  
I don't think I could stomach paying that for the Simplicity. You are getting a lot more tractor with the JD for less money. Simplicity makes some nice equipment... but as for the SubCUT market... there are several other brands that are far ahead of them.

/ small Subcompact VS larger Deere 2520/3320? #5  
Well, you've done your home work on 2 brands. But, you are doing yourself a disservice by not looking at as many brands as you can. There are many to choose from. JD and Simplicity are excellent machines. But so are Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra, NH, TYM, MF, and others.

I still think one should buy as big as can afford and is practically useable. I bought small at first and ended up buying bigger later. Now I have two expensive machines. Another approach is to buy a cheap lawnmower and an expensive tractor.

Also,confused on the PA sales tax thing. Profile says you live in NJ. If so, then you shouldn't have to pay PA sales tax.