Small towable graders?

/ Small towable graders? #41  

Anybody have luck with this kind of set up?. Our road is about a mile long and getting rough.

I've done the back dragging with the fel and used our back blade. It works to certain degree.

A few spots I gotta haul gravel in. Old railbed so the ground is solid.
I have a half mile drive on a hill and so far best thing I have found is a land plane it works very well I run a 7ft on a Kubota l4740 so just buy the right size for your machine. I have a rake and a box blade but the plane is by far the best thing I have used

/ Small towable graders? #42  
I take care of a 1/2 mile private road. I have a rear blade and a box blade, but here are my weapons of choice. (if you can get your hands on a Pony Grader - buy i!)

1659841103701.png

/ Small towable graders? #43  
I always thought this was a nice design.

/ Small towable graders? #44  
I have a half mile drive on a hill and so far best thing I have found is a land plane it works very well I run a 7ft on a Kubota l4740 so just buy the right size for your machine. I have a rake and a box blade but the plane is by far the best thing I have used
Same here: half mile gravel driveway, I use a Woods GSS72P land plane for routine maintenance. As someone else highlighted, use the heaviest tractor (or truck) possible. My L5740 pulls it fine, but my LX2710 struggles to pull a 72" blade uphill with a full load of gravel, even with a full FEL bucket and weighted R14 tires. I can't imagine a side-by-side or lawn tractor pulling enough gravel to do anything useful: you need weight for traction, and SxS's are built for flotation, not pulling. That said...using a SxS or lawn tractor to move a fraction of an inch at a time, with dozens of passes, could work if you're retired with infinite time, or need an excuse to spend a day away from the spouse :).

I made a wavy corduroy mess for years attempting to grade with my back blade and/or box blade (even with a top-n-tilt kit), before I finally broke down and bought the proper land plane with scarifiers. No fiddling needed: just drop it and pull. Contrary to what someone else mentioned, land plane blades are angled, and do pull the material from the edges to the center to maintain the crown. Mine also has adjustable skids to fine tune the amount of bite on each side. It's not the best tool for building a crown if you don't have one, but it certainly helps maintain the proper slope.

/ Small towable graders?
I like that that woods. Doubt our little 1705 could pull it. Our dump truck could pull it, just gotta rig up a way to pull it.

Power company recently mentioned that it would be nice to use our road for the boom trucks to replace all the poles. No way a boom truck is gonna go down the power lines. Told them I'd think about it. That would be alot more weight on that road.

I'll throw a grading clause into it after they are done, atleast it will get by til we can get something. They don't like it, not my problem.

/ Small towable graders? #49  
I was given [most] of a 1920 Adams horse drawn grader (no horses). It had been a four wheel arrangement, but the front wheel assembly was missing. Perfect! I installed a pivoting three point hitch bar there, and hook it to the three point hitch arms. That allows me very precise height adjustment of the front of the grader, thus half the moldboard height. There are two large handwheels to adjust the two lift links for the moldboard. I replaced one link arm with a hydraulic cylinder, so I can vertically angle the blade with the third function valve as I tow the grader. Swinging the moldboard requires manually swinging and repinning it.

It works excellently well. It is long enough, with the moldboard approximately halfway between the tractor back wheels, and the grader wheels. This optimizes the effect is correct that the tractor drives over a 1" bump, and the grader only lifts 1/2", next pass, 1/2" and 1/4", and so on. Once you have the three point hitch set correctly, a level road can be made excellent after a few passes. I pull with a JD1025R, which works perfectly. Occasionally, I use 4WD, but not normally necessary. My driveway is a 1/4 mile long, and I can grade it in an hour to perfection. A mile of road wouldn't bother me at all.

I see these graders as lawn ornaments frequently, it's a shame, as they are excellent for grading!

/ Small towable graders? #50  
Many years ago I used to pull a 8 ft section of 8x 12 I beam with a pick up truck, slightly angled it did a fair job of filling in the ruts when the moisture was right. You need something heavy