Smoothing out a field ideas

/ Smoothing out a field ideas #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
So we have about a 3 acre field that is currently a mixture of grass and weeks that we mow at 3.5” high. Problem is it’s a old tobacco field that still has some of the ridges left in place from the previous owner. They are not terrible but enough we need to mow slow or it makes you sick going over them. So my plan is to spray round up next weekend then by end of month start disking and breaking up the soil like in a X pattern or going against the ridges. So after This what is the best implement to smooth and even everything back out? Once done I will use a cultipacker to smooth and press the dirt then spread new grass seed.

Thanks

/ Smoothing out a field ideas #2  
In my fields I usually drag 2 pieces of oil field production tubing behind the disc to smooth it out while I drive.

/ Smoothing out a field ideas #3  
I have two implements I use. A Land Pride - land plane grading scraper. A home made drag. In my case the home made drag works best. It doesn't get so balled up with the grass clumps. It will gather the clumps and every so often I stop - lift the drag and rake the clumps into a pile. I go round with my wheel barrow - collect the clumps - dump in a single pile, off the field - drag the field again.

The LPGS will gather the clumps - the clumps will tend to get under the leading cross member - lift the scraper - it's now no longer doing a good job of leveling.

Once most all the clumps have been removed with the drag - the LPGS does a pretty good job. The LPGS is pulled with my big Kubota M6040 which tends to compact the soil.

View attachment 616493 . My field is one acre. You can see the big spikes on the leading/trailing timbers. I use a rope bridal and drag it with my ATV.

I much prefer to do the entire job with the home made drag & my ATV.

/ Smoothing out a field ideas #4  
So we have about a 3 acre field that is currently a mixture of grass and weeks that we mow at 3.5 high. Problem is it痴 a old tobacco field that still has some of the ridges left in place from the previous owner. They are not terrible but enough we need to mow slow or it makes you sick going over them. So my plan is to spray round up next weekend then by end of month start disking and breaking up the soil like in a X pattern or going against the ridges.

What is the best implement to smooth and even everything back out? Once done I will use a cultipacker to smooth and press the dirt then spread new grass seed.

A week after you spray, mow as short as possible: "scalp."

Few with Disc Harrows adjust them after putting them to use. If you first process the field two or three times (depending on the weight bearing on each of your disc pans) to loosen ridges, then adjust gang angles less aggressively in increments, the disc may meet your needs solo.

Moist soil will make your project go faster.

Adjust Top Link to vary disc weight distribution. Shorter = more weight on front gangs. Longer = more weight on rear gangs.

More weight on front disc gangs throws dirt OUT. Use on ridges. PHOTO

More weight on rear/wider disc gangs gathers dirt in. Straddle the swales.

The faster you disc the more dirt is moved.

As the field is smoothed, adjust Position Control so disc is in lighter contact with the soil.

Most pasture grass roots penetrate 7" to 9". Most pasture grass roots survive vigorous disc processing if rain arrives not long after.

MORE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ing-three-point-hitch-mounted.html?highlight=

If you elect to overseed I highly recommend a <$10.00 soil test and soil amendment per test result(s) prior to seeding. You need to informl testing agency what variety of grass you intend to plant for optimum amendment results.

Attachments

• DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 496
Last edited:
   / Smoothing out a field ideas #5  
Sounds like you have good plan:thumbsup: might consider dragging chain link fence of sort to put the finishing touch.

/ Smoothing out a field ideas
I’ve got some great ideas now. Thanks guys for the help.

/ Smoothing out a field ideas #7  
Good info
I have several areas where the potato farmers left the furrows, so kinda roller coaster mowing.

What I have in mind is rigging a harrow to back of my mower so I can mower and get a bit of leveling same time. Don’t expect to accomplish this quickly, but hoping for small improvements over time. Figure the worst areas I might criss cross. Might have to play with the weight factor and wet vs dry.

Anyone explain the difference between the smooth cs notched discs and why use one over the other?

/ Smoothing out a field ideas #8  
Notched pans penetrate ground better at any given degree of gang angle. Light Discs need this advantage.

Notched pans chop crop stubble that smooth pans roll over ineffectively.

Notched pans chop dirt clods at the rear gang better.

Notched pans pull some trash out of the ground.

You probably will not have a choice. Almost all pans are notched up to 22" in diameter, when weight is sufficient to penetrate soft dirt without notches. There is often a choice of notched or smooth pans at 22" diameter.

At 24" diameter most, not all, farming pans are smooth.

Last edited:
   / Smoothing out a field ideas #9  
Notched pans penetrate ground better at any given degree of gang angle.

Notched pans penetrate some less than optimally moist ground that smooth pans roll over ineffectively.

Notched pans chop dirt clods at the rear gang better.

Notched pans pull some trash out of the ground.

You probably will not have a choice. Almost all pans are notched up to 22" in diameter, when weight is sufficient to penetrate some dirt without notches. There is often a choice of notched or smooth pans at 22" diameter.

At 24" diameter most, not all, pans are smooth.

Thanks

/ Smoothing out a field ideas #10  
Lots of different disk types for different jobs.

[video]https://www.google.ca/search?q=disk+blades&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEw i75-fS1JbkAhUkSN8KHac9A7QQ_AUoAnoECAwQAg&biw=1024&bih= 671#imgrc=OfPHE69UAmlS3M&imgdii=RXb8n4bO6hvUPM[/video]