Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong..

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong.. #1  

Overtaxed

Tractor
Kioti NX6010, JD 2720 w/46BH, Honda Pioneer 1000
Sometimes it's great to be wrong though. I've always thought of fuel additives as a good way to burn up money at a high rate of speed. Well, no more, count me a believer.

My ZTM was surging badly, I know exactly what the problem is, dirty carb, but I just didn't feel like tearing it apart. Had some Seafoam that I used to use on my boat laying around and figured "what the ****". I mixed up a 50/50 Seafoam/gas mix, disconnected the fuel line from the tank and fed it into the engine. Did this a few times, you could hear it (and see it, plenty of smoke) when the Seafoam hit, and I thought, "huh, I think it might be getting better". After I think the 3rd time, it was pretty obviously better, but still not fixed. Mowed for awhile with some Seafoam in the gas, then, when I finished, fed it another 50/50 mix of gas/Seafoam and put it up for the night. Well, guess what? Went out today, started it and.. You guessed it, no surging; running like a top. Apparently whatever was lodged the Seafoam ate or allowed to pass through.

So... I'm eating my hat. I always told people they were wasting money with "that stuff" but, here I sit, having saved hours of work (to rebuild the carb) and 50 bucks (for the rebuild kit) with 1/2 a can of Seafoam. I'm shocked, I really am, I didn't expect it to work at all, but.. It did. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about it, happy because I don't have to rebuild the carb, sad because I spent so much time rebuilding carbs when a can of "snake oil" might have fixed it.

I did, today, before I tried the mower, happen to be at Autozone and picked up a can of Berryman's which I understand is stronger. It was clear last night that "this is starting to work" so I figured maybe "more power" was the answer. But I didn't even need that, just letting the Seafoam sit was all it took. I did run a little of the B12 through the engine tonight to just clear anything left out of the carb, but, it's running like a top again.

Learning something new, every day. ;)

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong.. #2  
Sometimes it's great to be wrong though. I've always thought of fuel additives as a good way to burn up money at a high rate of speed. Well, no more, count me a believer.

My ZTM was surging badly, I know exactly what the problem is, dirty carb, but I just didn't feel like tearing it apart. Had some Seafoam that I used to use on my boat laying around and figured "what the ****". I mixed up a 50/50 Seafoam/gas mix, disconnected the fuel line from the tank and fed it into the engine. Did this a few times, you could hear it (and see it, plenty of smoke) when the Seafoam hit, and I thought, "huh, I think it might be getting better". After I think the 3rd time, it was pretty obviously better, but still not fixed. Mowed for awhile with some Seafoam in the gas, then, when I finished, fed it another 50/50 mix of gas/Seafoam and put it up for the night. Well, guess what? Went out today, started it and.. You guessed it, no surging; running like a top. Apparently whatever was lodged the Seafoam ate or allowed to pass through.

So... I'm eating my hat. I always told people they were wasting money with "that stuff" but, here I sit, having saved hours of work (to rebuild the carb) and 50 bucks (for the rebuild kit) with 1/2 a can of Seafoam. I'm shocked, I really am, I didn't expect it to work at all, but.. It did. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about it, happy because I don't have to rebuild the carb, sad because I spent so much time rebuilding carbs when a can of "snake oil" might have fixed it.

I did, today, before I tried the mower, happen to be at Autozone and picked up a can of Berryman's which I understand is stronger. It was clear last night that "this is starting to work" so I figured maybe "more power" was the answer. But I didn't even need that, just letting the Seafoam sit was all it took. I did run a little of the B12 through the engine tonight to just clear anything left out of the carb, but, it's running like a top again.

Learning something new, every day. ;)

interesting...you get a product that works unexpectedly well...and you then decide to randomly use something else
anyway thanks for the seafoam info

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong.. #3  
I've always been a "seafoam" believer.. I had a similar experience when the power went out for a few day..
Generator was running ok.. then got a slug of water{?} due to poor quality fuel.. started surging & sputtering..
Dumped some sea foam into the container & like "magic" cleared it right out.. no spit'n & sputter'n & the surge was gone..
IT IS NICE to find a product that actually does what its supposed to do..{clean fuel systems}

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong..
interesting...you get a product that works unexpectedly well...and you then decide to randomly use something else
anyway thanks for the seafoam info

Well, when I was at Autozone, while I could see the Seafoam was "doing something" it hadn't fixed the issue, so I bought the B12 (and more Seafoam) thinking that might help if the situation couldn't be improved further by the Seafoam. Turns out I didn't need it; the Seafoam just needed to sit for awhile to complete the "repair". ;) But count me a believe in Seafoam, and also in "fuel treatments" in general. It wasn't so much that I thought "Seafoam is snake oil" I thought "Everything in this category of product is snake oil" and figured Seafoam was just the "best" snake oil (and perhaps it is).

IT IS NICE to find a product that actually does what its supposed to do..{clean fuel systems}

Isn't it though? I guess I'm jaded, but I just assume that most of the time, stuff like this is all "the power of suggestion". Pour this cup of magic juice into your car and it'll "run better". Pour it in, imagine it "running better", happy customer. Thing is, there wasn't anything "wrong with it" to begin with. In this case, there was something very, very obviously "wrong" that was resolved by the product, and that was, as you said, "NICE" to see! A lot of products "run on faith". I use 3% moly grease on everything, costs more, seems to "work" exactly the same as the cheaper stuff, but I buy it because I have "faith" that it's better. Not because I can see how it works better, and certainly not because it's easier to get off me (man, that stuff is nasty). But I'll never really know if it's better, the only way to tell would be run cheap grease and then have good grease do something "better than" the cheap grease. Probably not going to happen. But, in this case, it was a clear A/B test. It's like I filled one bearing with the good stuff and one with cheap grease and ran them side by side, and the cheap grease bearing failed and the good one did not. It's rare to find such clear A/B testing in the lubricant world, a lot of stuff we have to take on faith. Not this one (or your example). Didn't work right, pour in this stuff, working fine now.

Pretty amazing. Count me a believer. I'm thinking of just going with Seafoam in all my fillups from here on out. It's not that expensive; I already use Stabil in everything, and I'm thinking of dropping that for Seafoam in everything moving forward. Probably wind up using 10 cans a year of it if I use it with every fill up. But that's a lot cheaper than a single carb rebuild so.. Might be worth it for me..

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong.. #5  
^^ Don't forget the MMO. Try it. You'll like it.

Also, shop around for SF. Prices vary widely with auto stores tending to be the highest though they may run sales and promos more often. I've seen Buy One, Get One deals fairly often.

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong..
I actually do use MMO, but for something totally different. I use it when I get a clogged grease nipple, I have that tool you smack with a hammer that needs to be loaded with some fluid to open a grease port (which, BTW, works pretty well). I load that with MMO.

I guess what would help, because all these products kind of make the same claims, would be a comparison of them and what they are good, better, best at. Sometime like:

Carb cleaning - MMO, good, Seafoam, better, B12, best
Everyday fuel system cleaning - B12, too harsh - don't use it, MMO, good, Seafoam, best
Lubricating fuel system - B12, too harsh, Seafoam, good, MMO, best

Now, those are kind of how I see the products (no idea if that's right or not), but, some kind of "chart" with the problem your trying to solve (or prevent) and what "snake oil" is best at charming that particular issue. ;)

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong.. #7  
SF and MMO will help clean the junk out of a crankcase too. Add some and run it for a few minutes before you drain the oil.

On push mowers I usually put some MMO in the oil and run them normally.

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong.. #8  
Seafoam works for me also, the only additive I use on small engines.

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong.. #9  
I too believe they do work when used at a relatively strong dose when you believe they're needed .
Some advertisers show putting a "cap full" in a 20 gallon tank..
Isn't that kinda peeing in the ocean even for routine maintenance.?

/ Snake oil.. Well, I was wrong.. #10  
I use non-ethanol gas in my ZTM with great success.