Snapped Arctic Cat Rear Axle

/ Snapped Arctic Cat Rear Axle #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
It's a 2003 Arctic Cat 250cc dedicated 4x4 shown in my avatar.
I snapped (don't know how) the right rear axle. I ordered replacement parts to fix it at camp. I'd like to know how to get the axle out of the rear end...any special tools or tricks needed? I don't have the service repair manual.

I'll also be replacing the brake caliper and rotor since that's broke too. So any tips to look out for are appreciated.
Thanks, here are some pics of it.

/ Snapped Arctic Cat Rear Axle #2  
You will need a socket to fit the big nut that holds the axle to the spindle. On my brute force after removing spindle and axle nut, axle pulls out of diff. For the best info, try posting on highlifter forums.

/ Snapped Arctic Cat Rear Axle #3  
it's pretty straight forward. Just like dirt clod described. B ecareful not to rip the rubber boot ( they rip easy for some reason )

/ Snapped Arctic Cat Rear Axle
OK, thought I'd ask before in case there was some crazy tool(s) I need. I'm going up in the morning to camp and work on it.
Thanks...

/ Snapped Arctic Cat Rear Axle #5  
if that thing is a 250 i dont know how you did it either but if you do it again you can get gorilla axles or you can try turner axles all my friends have them on there polaris's and dont break them.

Yeah, it's a 250cc and I don't know how it broke. Most likely some of my kids using a farm vehicle to jump with or something like that. Dumb...but what do you expect from kids? And I don't mean little kids either. My 11 year old knows exactly how to use it and is deliberate and careful on it. It's my older grown up kids who've never been on a farm machine and race it all over my property when they visit. shees...

I didn't even get a chance to work on it at all this weekend. I was too busy busy working on my other projects. A couple buddies have been razzing me about not getting them done either, so I finished those up instead.
At least I can hope for more feedback regarding the ATV repair.:)

/ Snapped Arctic Cat Rear Axle #7  
Rob,

let me dig up my Suzuki King Quad manual tonight. In case you didn't know AC uses (still looks like they do), Suzuki engines and trannies. That model looks just like my KQ.

I'll shoot some scans tomorrow, (at work at the moment) I think I can dig up the parts manual and shop manual.

the axle is one piece if I recall, they are not cheap.

Rob

rearbrakes.jpg

/ Snapped Arctic Cat Rear Axle #8  
im not sure about ac but the hondas run 320 for stock and 360 staring for afther market. (better stronger)

/ Snapped Arctic Cat Rear Axle #9  
Ok let's try that pic again... Can't find my manual at the moment, it might be up at the weekend place to. But if I can post here is a couple pages from the parts manual. I don't recall anything major when pulling mine apart.

Rob

Attachments

• rearbrakes.jpg
    rearbrakes.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 248
  • kq.pdf
    72.5 KB · Views: 232
Thanks everyone for your input.

Rob, thank you for posting that picture and parts breakdown. I see a difference between our models though. First, the AC has disc brakes in the rear and second, it has two CV joints per rear axle. It has independent rear suspension. You can see the rear end in the second photo of my first post. The axle snapped where it enters into the right rear wheel, where the drive splines are.

I was really hoping to see how to remove the axle from the "rear end". I will have to take of the CV boot to see how to do it. Nevertheless, I sure appreciate you getting that information and trying to help me...very thoughtful.