snow blade rubber edge help

/ snow blade rubber edge help #31  
View attachment 729974
The rubber edge lasts me years and I have a rough long drive - more than quarter mile. I also do a neighbor’s driveway. Anyway, gets lots of use. Highly recommend this solution. Happy to provide more information or photos if needed.
Gary, do you typically take the rubber all the way down onto the pavement. If so, are you in float?

/ snow blade rubber edge help #32  
Gary, do you typically take the rubber all the way down onto the pavement. If so, are you in float?

I take the rubber all the way down and make strong contact with the pavement (asphalt and concrete) but not in float. With a 1” think rubber blade, you would be surprised how durable it is on a snow covered surface. The rubber edge extends about an inch and half or more beyond the steel blade.

Just to be clear, it works differently on dry pavement than it does on snow covered pavement. When I first set this up before winter hit many years ago, I wondered how it would work since I didn’t have snow at that time. As soon as I was able to use it with snow, then it was obvious.

I plow every snowfall down to the bare pavement before anyone drives over the snow by far the best results for us in the NW.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #33  
Thanks, Gary. I think a lot of the wear on my rubber edge came from using it on gravel. Not from my asphalt. It does a good job on fluffy snow but if I let it get packed, I have to wait for some melting.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #34  
Some wear related geometry to watch for, no matter what edge you have-

if your blade is tilted left/right- say, to throw snow to the right; and your loader "bucket" isn't curled flat- say, it's tilted down a little; then the left side of your cutting edge will be lower than the right side and taking all the weight. (blade's left side is further out along the loader's down tilt angle)

Last edited:
   / snow blade rubber edge help #35  
I have a rubber cutting edge since I have an asphalt drive.
Not really too effective, IMHO

I'd like to try this stuff

/ snow blade rubber edge help #36  
I use a KK rear blade and my dad uses a snow pusher I made from 1/4" plate and a old end loader tire. Both work quite well and neither really leave any scrape marks.

Attachments

• IMG_20171027_233759.jpg
    IMG_20171027_233759.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 101
   / snow blade rubber edge help #38  
I know Doughknob - I know ................ However - if that was "real quick" - he would be advised to provide a synopsis on normal or long posts. :):giggle:

And the problem I have is that with the blade actually moving in three planes (left-right with the angle, forward and back with the tilt on the FEL, up and down with the FEL), I seem to always slowly knock it off "level", so when angled, either left or right corner hit first and want to dig in. It happened on the gravel even with the shoes on it (the round spaceship kind).
Very typical with plows on FELs. Very tough to keep the plow float and angle happy

/ snow blade rubber edge help #40  
Vevor makes a "shoe" that screws onto your bucket that prevents digging in (you would need at least 2 of them). I was skeptical at first because they were relatively cheap, but have worked fine on my gravel driveway and grassy areas that were not frozen. They were half the price of Edge Tamers, but the Edge Tamers have a nifty accessory that inserts into the shoe making it a minifork for very light loads (like brush etc.).
Just another option.