Snow blower performance

/ Snow blower performance #61  
Well, as usual, I'm late to the party... I'm still going to suggest welding some 3/16" strap to the blades... make the pieces all the same length and width so balance isn't screwed up... NOW .... usually the impeller is not centered in the housing... So, when welding the plates in position, be sure you measure plate placement where the impeller main shaft is closest to the housing where you put the new 14 gauge liner... I would leave about 1/16" gap at the closest point of the housing... Make sure the impeller shaft bearing is not sloppy.. that could have disastrous effects on the impeller modification.. You could even modify the outboard edge of the newly installed plate to have the cup effect of the one impeller suggested in one of the posts... I'm thinking I may make that modification to my new blower...

/ Snow blower performance
Well, as usual, I'm late to the party... I'm still going to suggest welding some 3/16" strap to the blades... make the pieces all the same length and width so balance isn't screwed up... NOW .... usually the impeller is not centered in the housing... So, when welding the plates in position, be sure you measure plate placement where the impeller main shaft is closest to the housing where you put the new 14 gauge liner... I would leave about 1/16" gap at the closest point of the housing... Make sure the impeller shaft bearing is not sloppy.. that could have disastrous effects on the impeller modification.. You could even modify the outboard edge of the newly installed plate to have the cup effect of the one impeller suggested in one of the posts... I'm thinking I may make that modification to my new blower...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have it exactly to about a 1/16” from the tightest spot of the housing. And that’s why I’m only doing one of the blades at a time. So I can fit it one perfectly. I thought about trying to modify the impeller. But I would then want to balance it and since I can’t remove it I figured I better just leave it the way it is. Between relining the housing, getting the clearance down to a 1/16 and adding the triangle piece on the upper left hand side of the opening I think the performance will improve. If not she will be for sale!

/ Snow blower performance #63  
If you hurry and get all this done, we won't have to wait until next winter to see the results...

/ Snow blower performance #64  
Dan, looks like you did a nice job relining that drum. Well done!

Be sure to let us know how it works! Are you guys getting hit with the big storm that we are in the Northeast starting tonight/tomorrow?

On a side note- I have to build an impeller kit for my blower. I've got the power to run it, but it just doesn't throw far enough for my needs. and the drum gets caked up with sticky wet snow. I figure if I can use some thick conveyor belt material and close up that gap, it won't plug up as much. Mine's a 6' McKee Sno-Lander 520.

No storm here. Mostly sleet and was snowing a little bit ago. But won’t accumulate. Going to finish the 3 other blades on the impeller and sandblast and get it painted and ready for storage until next year. Hope we ha e a good snow fall next year to see how it works.

/ Snow blower performance #66  
No storm here. Mostly sleet and was snowing a little bit ago. But won’t accumulate. Going to finish the 3 other blades on the impeller and sandblast and get it painted and ready for storage until next year. Hope we ha e a good snow fall next year to see how it works.

Ah nuts. Current forecast for my area is showing 8-18" inches. It's gonna be in the mid thirties, so chances are it'll be wet/heavy. I'll probably just push it with the loader mounted plow.

Lucky your to be able to play In That snow. I converted a plow to Go on my loader also. Almost wish I would have just adapted it to mount on the tractor frame instead of loader. But it works nice.

/ Snow blower performance #68  
Lucky your to be able to play In That snow. I converted a plow to Go on my loader also. Almost wish I would have just adapted it to mount on the tractor frame instead of loader. But it works nice.

Yeah, I frame mounted mine and am really pleased with the operation.
I initially made it manually angled but welded it permanently into a pusher configuration as I lacked the weight to push snow sideways. I did add a wing to one side however so when pushing it only slops to one side.

I only push in light snow situations and use the blower when over 4" or so.
While always on my 'to do list' is to close up the fan to wall gaps, that or make up a 4 blade fan.

/ Snow blower performance #69  
I'd love to frame mount mine, but my machine is a '64, no quick attach anything. And it's got a front mounted gear pump for the loader, so I'd need to figure a way to loop the lines. If I built a sort of carriage/sling out of 6x6 posts, installed hydraulic quick disconnects etc.. I might be able to remove the loader 'easily.'

But I do use the loader frequently in the snow, so I still like the option. Besides that it's a 2wd machine and it helps me get un-stuck when I do something foolish haha!

/ Snow blower performance #70  
Just checked the impeller spacing on my rear mounted Kubota 2789 blower and it is about 3/8 inch. I've been using the blower in some pretty heavy snow for 8 or 9 years. I often hit gravel and that might account for any impeller wear. I have lots of videos on Youtube showing the blower operating on my BX25.

If I forget to have the engine pretty well wide open the impeller will jam with (wet) snow and shear the pto pin.

Most of my videos have been posted on TBN