Snow Blowing in Reverse

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I used to own a 36hp LG loader tractor with shuttle shift and a 6' rear mounted snowblower.

When I used the snowblower, I would simply stand up and turn around so I could see what I was blowing.
The tractor never had a seat sensor, so it kept running while I was standing up. Steering was not difficult.

I now have HST tractors with seat sensors which would prohibit my above referenced behavior.

Is there a way to bypass the seat sensor so I could put the cruise control on and stand up & turn around?

I do not trust my mirror as it vibrates significantly, and I do not have the flexibility of twisting my neck around.

The driveway is several hundred feet long and winding with drop offs on both sides in different areas.

Any ideas are appreciated.

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #2  
Depending on the type of seat sensor you have, it might be as easy as using a zip tie. I did this with my L3901 mainly for rear snow blower use and the wood chipper. When using the blower, I turn just enough in the seat that the sensor would engage as the weight was displaced. One zip tie later....all good. Check it out, hope it works for you.

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #3  
One thing to keep in mind, is that even if you bypass the seat safety switch, the cruise control will not engage in reverse on the Branson. At least, I remember reading about the on the service manual a couple days ago. I don't know about the LS though.

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #4  
I believe some PTO's allow use without seat sensor, engage pro when seat not occupied then it will not kill engine. My JD does this.
I do not know if sitting and getting off then will re-engage the sensor.
I'll try to remember to check.

Regarding cruise control, i don't think i've ever used it blowing snow, and that's going forward.

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #5  
I believe some PTO's allow use without seat sensor, engage pro when seat not occupied then it will not kill engine. My JD does this.
I do not know if sitting and getting off then will re-engage the sensor.
I'll try to remember to check.

Regarding cruise control, i don't think i've ever used it blowing snow, and that's going forward.
That only works when the tractor is used as a stationary power source...such as using a 3PH wood chipper

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #6  
Before I put a jumper on the switch, I used to kneel on the seat facing backwards while blowing snow.

After trying various ideas, I now use these Jeep Wrangler mirrors bolted to the FEL frame:

P1060621a.jpg P1060622a.jpg

They don't vibrate like others I've tried. It takes some practice but I don't turn around much anymore.

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #7  
Depending on the type of seat sensor you have, it might be as easy as using a zip tie. I did this with my L3901 mainly for rear snow blower use and the wood chipper. When using the blower, I turn just enough in the seat that the sensor would engage as the weight was displaced. One zip tie later....all good. Check it out, hope it works for you.
Zip tie worked great on my L3200. 5 seconds to remove if I wanted more safety too. Seat sensor on the economy Kubotas will detect an operator in the seat, or the seat being flipped up. Seat flipped up will let the PTO run but stall if the HST pedal is touched I believe. No easy defeat mechanism or flip up detection on my newish (not 5 years old I guess) L4060 with an air ride seat. The cab makes it not worth it for me to dig into the sensor as you can't stand anyway.

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #8  
I used to own a 36hp LG loader tractor with shuttle shift and a 6' rear mounted snowblower.

When I used the snowblower, I would simply stand up and turn around so I could see what I was blowing.
The tractor never had a seat sensor, so it kept running while I was standing up. Steering was not difficult.

I now have HST tractors with seat sensors which would prohibit my above referenced behavior.

Is there a way to bypass the seat sensor so I could put the cruise control on and stand up & turn around?

I do not trust my mirror as it vibrates significantly, and I do not have the flexibility of twisting my neck around.

The driveway is several hundred feet long and winding with drop offs on both sides in different areas.

Any ideas are appreciated.

TIA

Yooper Dave
I just put rear view camera like in your car. Works good for my 1/4 mi driveway. Have to turn and look back sometimes... not all the time like before

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #9  
My tractor seat rotates 45 degrees which is ok for long runs, but too much hassle for frequent changing. I installed front and rear cameras recently, and they work very well, although I'm not used to using the rear camera yet.
I do like the large mirrors in this thread - nice work.
FYI, there is an ebay and/or Amazon seller that is making up some nice looking large mirrors that are magnetic mount. I would have definitely liked those (or the bolted on ones) on my previous open station tractor.

/ Snow Blowing in Reverse #10  
That only works when the tractor is used as a stationary power source...such as using a 3PH wood chipper
Yep, i wasn't sure but i tested it.
started pto off seat , tractor kept running.
sit and get up it stops