Snow boots

/ Snow boots #1  

nfisheremti

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800 HST
i need new boots. i do snow removal in an open station Kubota L3800. i spend about 2 hours a day when it snows clearing neighborhood driveways. i have a pretty decent snow suit, balaclava, heated gloves, etc. but my 30 year old sorels aren't cutting it anymore. my toes are solid chunks of ice by the time i get back to the house. temps can be anywhere from around 32F to -20F. i'm doing this before my real job, so it's 4am or so, often snowing hard. i spend very little time out of the seat moving around, but i am working the pedals pretty hard with both feet.

what do you guys use? any recommendations? my primary goal is warm, followed by easy on/off, good traction on snow and ice, durable, and finally price (i don't mind paying if they're going to last).

thanks,
n

/ Snow boots #2  
I have the same classic Sorels with felt liners for decades. They are big and bulky but are in xlnt shape, warm, and decent traction. Don't know if they still make them like they used to.

/ Snow boots
I have the same classic Sorels with felt liners for decades. They are big and bulky but are in xlnt shape, warm, and decent traction. Don't know if they still make them like they used to.
That's that I have now. I've been reading reviews and from all I can tell, they don't make 'em like they used to.
I'm looking at Baffin Selkirks. Anyone have experience with them?

/ Snow boots #4  
800g Cabela's work boots. I'm on my fourth or fifth pair. On sale they're around $89.

Edit: they don't offer them anymore. I've been buying them since 2005.

Have you ever considered something like this? https://www.westonstore.com/products/heated-socks?variant=37412449353918&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Bing Shopping&msclkid=df2e7d1091ab162778a71c680ee786b0
I'm not generally a fan of electric clothes, it wouldn't be good if they suddenly crapped out when I'm a mile from the truck. In your case though they may be just what you need.

/ Snow boots
I have some heated gloves the wife bought for me a few years back. They last about 4 hours. But the batteries are a bit clunky.
I have Reynaud's syndrome, so my fingers and toes are always suffering. Maybe electric is the way to go

/ Snow boots #7  
SNIP

what do you guys use? any recommendations? my primary goal is warm, followed by easy on/off, good traction on snow and ice, durable, and finally price (i don't mind paying if they're going to last).

thanks,
n

We get real winter here, too. I used to use heavy winter boots, although as I've aged I think what works best for each person is very individual.

Anyway, my feet were getting cold, so I switched from boots (Sorels with fur liners & RedWings with double wool socks) to a different thing entirely.

This is going to sound crazy but it works for me. Now I use an overboot like the NEOS (google them). Inside each NEO overshoe is a favorite comfortable old and rather large low top tennis shoe that stays there permanently. When I want to go outside, I simply slide my stocking feet into that rig, slap the front to engage the hook and loop, and I'm good to go all morning.
Although if the snow is deep I also roll up and fasten the built-in snow gaiters .

Since the price is so reasonable I have two sets. As the snow deepens and slippery ice forms outside I add aggressive chain Yak Traks to one pair. The Yak Tracks then stay on that pair for the remainder of the winter.

The key to the whole thing is that the NEOS need to fit loose enough and the Yak Traks need to fit tight enough.
YMMV
rScotty

/ Snow boots #8  
When plowing with my previous open station tractor I used heated gear by Gerbing. I wired a 12v plug near the seat. Overkill for most outdoor work, but for sitting on the tractor for several hours it was perfect.
I have heated socks, pants, vest, and gloves.
As far as current snow footwear, I like Haix boots. I wore them as my work boot for years as a firefighter. Lightweight and comfortable like sneakers, totally waterproof and breathable.

/ Snow boots #9  
I keep telling you fellow "open station" guys about heated motorcycle gear. Snowmobiling, (depending on your riding) is a physical activity, at least a lot more physical than driving your tractor. Your extremities, especially as you age will naturally get cold so that gear/clothing is not the answer. About 8 years ago I visited a "touring" type m/c accessory store, told the owner my story and he suggested that I "build" my winter plowing suit starting with a heated jacket. He told me that he found that keeping your "core" warm was the best 1st step and if needed, pants, socks and gloves can be added.
He was 100% correct, I walked in there expecting to buy a total "suit". He made sense and saved me money as I've not added any of these pants, socks etc. I think I spent about $300 for the wiring to tie into a vehicle's 12v and a controller and this includes the jacket.
I couldn't be happier and I go out plowing for about 5-6 hours on my little 25 or so driveway "route" about 20 times a winter. 👍
20210102_155111.jpg

/ Snow boots #10  
Over the years I found snowmobile outfit works the best (y) ...boots 1 piece suit and gloves...some time suit can be to warm.