Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow, driveways & tractors.

/ Snow, driveways & tractors.
Roy, sorry for the delayed response.

You'll have to take my comments with a grain of salt; I'm shopping for my first tractor... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

On that particular day I tried out four machines. Three had loaded industrials (R4s), and one had loaded ags (R1s). All had FELs and nothing on the 3PH, all were roughly in the same weight class and clean (no attached weights).

The dealer allowed me to take the machines out where the snow was still untouched. I was trying to get a feel on how to use the FEL/bucket to clear snow, mostly running in float mode with the buckets cuttin edge just slightly higher than the bottom/backside. Occasionally I'd go into piles of compacted snow that was from the rest of the lot.

The R1s went the furthest/deepest and had the least ammount of steering loss - in my opinion it wasn't even close. But I think I made it sound like the R4s were unusable and I know that isn't the case.

But up here in new england, we get a lot of snow, a lot of which will be much tougher to deal with than what I was playing in, and those conditions were almost ideal - with nothing under the newly fallen snow but gravel. Soon it'll be packed snow and layers of ice...

So I estimated what I'd be facing later this winter, and that's where I came up with the statement that the the R4s I'd previously thought were the only way I wanted to go, now were less attractive.

I think for my situation, I'd be best off with R4s for the warmer seasons, and chains for the not so warm...

Thanks for the insight, you've obviously got a lot of real world experience.

FYI: I have read several posts here on TBN that say "bought chains, been a waste, never needed them" but others say how their tractor did a 180, or neighbors tractor rolled, because of not having chains on when they hit ice. It probably varies significantly by region and for equipment used...

I've still got lots to learn, hopefully there's time to learn it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bruce.

George2615:
<font color="blue"> For hard pack snow or ice it doesn't matter running R4's or R1's both will need chains to move.</font>

That's what it'll be like in another few weeks...

And I'll plan on keeping a bucket of sand handy, thanks!
Bruce.

browns40:

I've seen guys do that to their dirt bikes for ice racing, and they do what would be impossible otherwise...

I wonder if we can get studded R4s? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Bruce.

Brad,

<font color="blue"> If you have the opportunity to try turfs with chains, I think you will be surprised. </font>
Seems counter-intuitive, but I believe it.

And it would make some of the used machines I've discounted because they had turf tires (and different rims) seem more usable... (couldn't get better for mowin!)
Bruce.

LarryRB:
<font color="blue"> I've been plowing with machines and industrial tires since 1974, and see no reason to have R1s' </font>

Are you the anommoly or the norm? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, if I keep hearing reports like that one I might become a convert.

But I do know that my old plow truck coulnd't get out of it's own way without the chains (okay so a mix of snows and radials don't equal R4s! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )
Bruce.

MadReferee:
<font color="blue"> "I use R4's with chains and the chains are only necessary because the driveway will turn to ice if the sun comes out and it then gets cold" </font>

My driveway will turn to ice if it gets cold, which this time of year is a forgone conclusion. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

<font color="blue"> "I handled 14" (measured) the other day with no problems" </font> /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bruce.

jcmseven:
<font color="blue"> The downside, though, is that R1 tires wear quickly, especially on gravel or pavement, because the tractor weight is distributed on the tops of very narrow tread bars, where the R4's will wear a little better in general. This should mean that the longer you have the machine, the worse the R1's would do, where the R4 tires would be about the same. </font>

I never even considered the cutting edge wear on the ag tires, good point.

And I agree with your point about the R4s looking better; When I was first looking I saw two machines at different locations, same size machines - just one had R1s while the other R4s. Yet I was certain the one with the R4s was much bigger... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PS: Your post was one of those I was mentioning to Roy - first responder (neighbors machine rolling becuase of ice...).
Bruce.

Woody_NH:

I think I'd be seeing what you experienced, though much is flat, part of my drive does slope a bit...

When I was test driving one of those fancy new machines with the R4s, I was coming up a hill next to the dealership offices and hid a patch of packed snow; tires started slipping and machine momentarily lost forward momentum. Instinctively (truck owner) I reached for where I knew the FWD lever was and yanked, much to my surprise all heads turned as I discovered the tires shouldn't be turning when your try to engage it! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

(...Next time I'll use my heel on the differential lock!)
Bruce.

Kozak:

<font color="blue"> Don't worry.....get the R4's if you will be doing work close to the house in the summer. You'll do fine. </font>

You guys have pretty well convinced my that the R4s will be my best bet, and chains for Christmas?

(maybe next year...) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Bruce.

robison:
<font color="blue"> "chains on the front" </font>

It wasn't until I read yours and another guys post that I even knew that was an option...

I've got a long gravel drive, so I don't have to worry about marking, and coupled with my low budget, I won't be going with a 3ph blower anytime soon.

Was encouraged to read how well your machine did in the deep stuff!
Bruce.