Snow Forecast For Virginia

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #41  
Yeah, it was too deep to sled in, pulled my younger son over to my parents house behind the tractor. Felt bad, it was his birthday and we couldn't get the requested McDonald's for dinner or pick up his cake from Walmart

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

Dang,, when the sleds are hooked to the rope,, the grandchildren don't think about food,,
the only thing I hear is "Keep going,, POP POP !!",,

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #42  
Dang,, when the sleds are hooked to the rope,, the grandchildren don't think about food,,
the only thing I hear is "Keep going,, POP POP !!",,
He didn't either, that's why I took him over, so he could have some fun and distract him from his disappointment. He doesn't ask for much usually so he was pretty upset that he wasn't going to get his McD and cake he asked for, luckily the sled ride cheered him up.

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #44  
That's got to be very embarrassing (to say the least) to certain state officials that's responsible for the roads.
I'm sure that there's some circumstances that were involved the didn't make the news, but really? It's all I'm hearing on the radio today.

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #45  
The forecast was dead on accurate, BUT the timing was impossible and unfortunately most of the steering wheel holders on the road do not have proper winter weather equipment and tires on their vehicles. Many drive with summer only performance tires and then are shocked they have no traction. Many didn't have full tanks of fuel so once they first got stuck, they idled out of fuel. None of these people keep blankets/sleeping bags/food or water in their vehicles - they just assume they will always make it to Point B. There was also a 6 tractor trailer accident that initially gummed up the works. Once the traffic was stopped/slowed , the snow rates of 3.5 inches per hour made movement essentially impossible for those folks and then the plows couldn't get through either. The heavy wet snow also took out trees and power for a huge stretch which left the VDOT traffic control center blind.

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #46  
Don't know exactly what happened, but it was a heavy rain with a quick temp drop overnight turning to ice and then heavy snow. They couldn't pre treat due to the rain and then the fine, wet snow was packing down quickly. A lot of the clearing efforts were hampered due to downed trees/ limbs which caused a lot of delays for the plows.
This is one of the nastier ice/snow storms I've seen here in a while.

I've also heard there's been a shortage of plow drivers this year due to vaccine requirements and late payments last year(haven't confirmed this though).

Hard to believe I was in a t-shirt changing the shocks on the truck 2 days ago!

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #47  
And yet some VA officials will probably get a promotion or pay raise because of it.

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #49  
The forecast was dead on accurate, BUT the timing was impossible and unfortunately most of the steering wheel holders on the road do not have proper winter weather equipment and tires on their vehicles. Many drive with summer only performance tires and then are shocked they have no traction. Many didn't have full tanks of fuel so once they first got stuck, they idled out of fuel. None of these people keep blankets/sleeping bags/food or water in their vehicles - they just assume they will always make it to Point B. There was also a 6 tractor trailer accident that initially gummed up the works. Once the traffic was stopped/slowed , the snow rates of 3.5 inches per hour made movement essentially impossible for those folks and then the plows couldn't get through either. The heavy wet snow also took out trees and power for a huge stretch which left the VDOT traffic control center blind.
You are correct... People are stupid to always assume they will make it to point B. My truck is always provisioned with wool blankets, water, food, and yep... a P cup! I've been stuck a couple of times 8 to 10 hours.

/ Snow Forecast For Virginia #50  
Coldsteelva that makes perfect sense. It's been over 12 years since I've lived in that region and have forgotten how "numb" most of the drivers are (about snow) and to a point, it's understandable. Then a big contributor is the road temperature. Being very warm just a day or two before, I've forgotten that one single car track turns the snow into a hard slush, impossible to drive on regardless of what tires you have.
Did you get your power back on?