Snow Plow Edge

/ Snow Plow Edge #1  

3rd Coast

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT422
Greetings, folks.

I got the plow out for an unexpected snow storm this weekend. It didn't seem to work very well as it just wanted to dig in to the driveway and grass. A friend advised me to put a fence post on the edge so the plow wouldn't dig. I had a 1.5" pvc pipe I was able to rip a line down and tap on to the plow. Worked AWESOME! Problem is I don't expect it to work very long as I'm sure the PVC will become brittle as it gets colder.

Do you guys have a better solution? I do not have a welder but could probably handle drilling mounting holes.

Attachments

• 20221113_163639.jpg
    20221113_163639.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 104
   / Snow Plow Edge
Kind of an add on question. I had a large tree branch come down and land in my chicken run taking out the fence. I was already on the PT clearing snow and decided to chain up to the log and haul it out. I noticed when reaching the limit of traction that only the left side wheels would spin(front left and back left). Is this normal?

/ Snow Plow Edge #3  
Kind of an add on question. I had a large tree branch come down and land in my chicken run taking out the fence. I was already on the PT clearing snow and decided to chain up to the log and haul it out. I noticed when reaching the limit of traction that only the left side wheels would spin(front left and back left). Is this normal?
It is normal until you press the differential lock.

/ Snow Plow Edge #4  
This is an older thread that popped up on a search from a different site - there are more recent threads, but the concept is the same

/ Snow Plow Edge #5  
I used a piece of 1.5" steel roll bar tubing and ripped a slot the length in it and, with some bending/prying, was able to "slip" it on the plow cutting edge. I did add a few tack welds so it won't slip off but can still be removed if it wears out (which should be a good while). The same concept as PVC but will last a LOT longer.

/ Snow Plow Edge #6  
There are a variety of clamp on edges that would require some mount of drilling and bolting. Rubber edges tend to be cheap, often made of old tires or conveyor belting, and UHMWPE tend to be very durable, though a little depends on what your driveway surface is.

All the best,

Peter

/ Snow Plow Edge #8  
FYI:

All the best,

Peter

This is where I got my UHMH poly edges last year. They're not cheap (anywhere), but so far I really like them on pavement and concrete. I plow commercially (rural residential driveways) and the wear on the edge has been much less than I anticipated.

The OP is plowing gravel, so these edges are not really what he needs though. On gravel I spin my rear blade backwards and plow forward, or in the forward blade position plow in reverse. I rarely plow gravel driveways after I paved my long driveway years ago.

/ Snow Plow Edge
Thanks, everyone. Think i am going to go with the 1.5" steel pipe, ripped down the center and tack welded to the plow.