Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader

/ Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
Taking delivery on a new Deere 3033R this week, and re-evaluating my snow removal options. This is just for my own house, and occasionally helping a neighbor or two, not a commercial operation. BUT... my goal is to get snow removal done very quickly and easily, so as to not make me late for work every time I wake up to snow in the morning.

Driveway = 450 linear feet x 12 ft. + parking = 7000 sq.ft.
Single storm = typically 4" - 12", often wet, but occasionally 30"+

Lots of wet messy icy crap, we're in the mid-Atlantic region, between Philly and NYC.

My current setup is a 64" 3-pt blower + 61" bucket on the loader. This has actually worked pretty well, although the blower often covers me in the mess (no cab), and takes time to retrieve from the shed and hook to the tractor. I usually use the bucket on the loader for anything under 12", and hook up the blower for anything over 12".

The bucket means many, many, many passes up and down the driveway, using it as a poor-man's pusher at speed, since it fills and spills off both sides very quickly. I'm thinking that, since the new loader is quick-change, it might make sense to get an angling blade to do the plowing of anything under 12" deep, and continue using the blower for anything over 12". I wanted to get thoughts on this, or hear any other ideas you fine folks may have.

We get only 4 - 10 snows per year, and usually enough of a warm spell between each that accumulation at the edges of the driveway are not much of an issue, it usually nearly melts between storms. On those years when we get hammered more frequently, I always have the blower to shoot if farther.

Is an angled blade worth the space they'll consume in my storage?

/ Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader #2  
My order of preference would be;front snow blade,rear blade,pusher then the bucket.If you have a blower for big snow falls;great.

/ Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader #3  
Option #5 for me was to move to Florida!! :) :)
Been there, done that, don't have the sweat shirts.

/ Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader #4  
[I've tried them all. Blower was the worst: too slow and too messy. Bucket: OK but get on it early otherwise takes a lot of back & forth to empty the bucket. Pusher: too narrow, wind up with a huge pile at the end of a run. Spillover. Takes a lot of tractive force / weight. 8' beater Western snow plow. Uses loader hydraulics. 800' gravel just fine by raising the blade up 3/4". Glides on 2 pucks. Now I have the driveway with concrete. Added a rubber slide wiper edge. Now I'm done before the tractor warms up. No need for cab nor snow gear and face shield. Special attachment legs [ didn't use the loader frame. 90402086.jpg. The 8' covers the max tractor width when swung to 45 degrees. Yes the truck cylinders can contain the 2250 psi from my tractor supply. Sometimes I use a left or right brake to get really sharp turns taken care of. So, what if there's a hump or high drift at the sides. I just run back through and shove it over farther. On 12" of any snow weight, I can run in high range and 3rd gear. The steel blade plus down-force plus reverse also gives me an ice and snow crust remover. With my oil pressure and flow-rate, I can actually fling snow off to the side with the tractor stationary !

/ Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader #5  
I've done the loader option, the 3 point blower option and now have a front blade. The blade is the clear winner.

/ Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader #7  
My go-to setup is front SSQA blade and rear blade / snow blower.
With front and rear blades I can make short work of the 15 or so driveways I plow. The blower is for the rare big dump.

/ Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader
Thanks guys, this is what I wanted to hear, the blade is the way to go anytime you can get away with not hooking up that blower. I'll keep the blower for those big snows we get maybe once per year (or less), and plan to use the blade most of the time.

Anyone with experience running a blade on a loader? I love the way I can just drop the bucket and pick up a blade on this new loader, and the 320R loader is mighty heavy compared to my old one, but the mechanics of a loader really don't seem ideal for the side force created by an angled blade.

/ Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader #9  
I'd say a rear blade along with the front loader will take care of most storms; that is, in my area. I've got a 11 HP 29 " walk behind blower that only works in dry snow. In large wet snows, like the one we just had, it is nearly worthless. I'd imagine that a tractor mounted blower might work the same. In cold areas with large snows I'd want a tractor mounted snow blower.

/ Snow removal options - plow, pusher, blower, loader #10  
As some others have said, the SSQA mounted power angle blade is the ticket. I don't plow anything that doesn't have a place to push the snow off the sides or ends. Since '90 I've had rear blades, front blades, a rear blower and a homebrew pusher (added wings to the FEL bucket). Here are a couple threads on SSQA blades:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/401291-snow-plow-build-finished-underslung-4.html

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/407444-ssqa-snow-plow.html