Snow snow removal

/ snow removal #1  

BeauT

Tractor
Kubota B6000
I just purchased a B6000 4 x4. It has a grader blade that I can spin and plow backwards and leave the FEL attached. Does anyone make a blower that will work off the PTO? Any better way to clear snow? This is my first compact and I have a lot to learn.

/ snow removal #2  
Many companies make 3 point hitch blowers. They work fine. I think you will have a problem with the rotation direction of your pto. B6000 tractors turn their pto in the opposite direction from most other tractors. Your blower would be turning in the wrong direction. You might be able to find a PTO reverser but they are expensive.

/ snow removal #3  
Save your $$$ and give it a try with the grader blade and FEL. As KubotaSam mentioned it there are many companies that make snowblowers, but you may not need it. I have an FEL and rear blade and was able to clear snow just fine. We had near record amounts last year and it was an easy and fun task. Get chains for the tires and have fun.

/ snow removal #4  
Save your $$$ and give it a try with the grader blade and FEL. As KubotaSam mentioned it there are many companies that make snowblowers, but you may not need it. I have an FEL and rear blade and was able to clear snow just fine. We had near record amounts last year and it was an easy and fun task. Get chains for the tires and have fun.

I think it would depend upon how much snow you get and how much time you have on your hands, as to whether your strategy would work well.

I would think it would be terribly slow using a FEL and you would have the a problem with where to put all of the snow, unless you get snow very sporatically and it melts between snowfalls.

/ snow removal #5  
I also live in Connecticut and we don't get a huge amount of snow here. It also tends to melt between storms (at least for the last few years anyway).

I think your idea of using the rear blade and FEL should work fine. Some TBN folks spin the rear blades around backwards and run them in reverse, others drive over the snow and pull the blade forward. I think either method would probably work as long as you have a place to dump the snow.

I use a front blade and it works very well. I had considered the snowblower option myself but for the amount of snow we get here the blade is faster. I also have a place were I can pile snow, if I did not I would probably have gotten the blower.

/ snow removal #6  
I just purchased a B6000 4 x4. It has a grader blade that I can spin and plow backwards and leave the FEL attached. Does anyone make a blower that will work off the PTO? Any better way to clear snow? This is my first compact and I have a lot to learn.

BeauT,

Welcome to the forum! I push snow with a rear blade turned around facing backwards all the time. In the early part of the winter when the ground is softer and the snowfall is light, I'll push the blade backwards with the blade facing forward, so that the weight of the blade is pushing the snow and not digging into the ground.

I would go slow pushing the blade like a plow in reverse....I hit a frozen snowbank last winter and bent one of my drag links (lower lift arms.) 3RRL suggested a reinforcement for the lift arms that I went with and have not any problems since. You can search for 3RRL's thread on the topic, but don't be surprised if you get sidetracked reading any of his other threads...very creative and interesting stuff. If you decide that you are going to be pushing the blade backwards a lot, I wouldn't wait for the links to bend, they are amazingly hard to straighten in a ill-equiped home shop, ha! I've included pictures of the link reinforcement I added on the bottom of the drag links. Have fun with the new rig and keep us up to date on what you settle on for snow removal. Dyer, retired

Attachments

• LinkRepair2resized.jpg
    LinkRepair2resized.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 377
  • ELinks6-19-08resized.jpg
    ELinks6-19-08resized.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 408
   / snow removal #7  

Since you already have the rear blade, I second at least trying it as Easygo suggests. I moved a lot of snow last year w/ FEL/Rear blade.

/ snow removal #8  
Peter I have a 6ft rhino blade we use for grading and wanted to use it for plowing but I was wondering how it would work cause the blade doesn't have shoes and we have a gravel driveway....with an elevated 20* slope at the exit.

Any advice on plowing techniques or adding some kind of field expedient blade shoes welcome...thanks.

Kubota B1750

edit...whoops I just reread 'Dyer, retired' about pushing the snow backwards so it doesn't dig into the gravel...but your 3ph arms are way more built up than mine. Don't know for sure but I'm thinking the snow may push up the blade or bend my simple turnbuckles. hummmm I dunno

/ snow removal #9  
Peter I have a 6ft rhino blade we use for grading and wanted to use it for plowing but I was wondering how it would work cause the blade doesn't have shoes and we have a gravel driveway....with an elevated 20* slope at the exit.

Any advice on plowing techniques or adding some kind of field expedient blade shoes welcome...thanks.

Kubota B1750

My driveway is paved so I have no first hand experience with using a rear blade for snow removal on a gravel driveway. I have heard others state that they have have success on gravel driveways by turning the blade backwards so that it does not dig in. Others have also purchased or fabricated skid shoes.

/ snow removal #10  
Quick comeback...thanks peter. Let me ask you...in your experience using the blade is it possible to pull the snow forward successfully just 2" over the driveway.

I'd rather pull with the blade angled to the right ...I just don't want to dig up my gravel.

edit I have an old tire I was going to sawzall and cobble on some 2" boots on each side of the blade.