Loader Snow removal.

/ Snow removal. #1  

Gasifier

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 310J, Kubota L4310
Using my new Mahindra 3550 4X4 HST for snow removal. IMG_2682.JPG

Wondering what you folks who use hydrastatuc tractors generally run your RPMs at. I have been adjusting and getting use to the HST. Recently settled on about 1500 RPMs in Medium gear range.

Any other snow practice or tips with just using a bucket from anyone would be appreciated. I have done it with several different machines but always looking to learn. Thanks.

/ Snow removal. #2  
I have a QA 7 1/2' plow on my loader. I plow in mid range at 2200 RPM.

/ Snow removal. #3  
Welcome from Black Lake(south of the Burg).It depends on load;I run a 8ft.Curtis snow plow mounted on the FEL and today with the foot or so of heavy snow had to run about 2,000 rpms to keep from bogging the HST.On my L4240 Kubota I normally run in medium and toggle up and down(HST+).Very rarely I have to go into low range.
I think you will find that a bucket is about the worst snow removal tool there is;better than a shovel for sure.You may want to look at a decent sized rear blade.Looks like you have a BH, so that may be a pain.
Better bet may be find an old truck plow and run on the front.

/ Snow removal. #4  
I run at 2200 rpm in medium EXCEPT when doing some really heavy pushing or trying to climb the pile. Then I use low range.

/ Snow removal. #5  
Honestly, it's been 6 years since I had to push any snow with the bucket. This past weekend there was 5" on the ground so hardly worth breaking out the tractor.
I don't have chains (and can't justify them for our annual snowfall) so my biggest pain was moving back up slight slopes, but slow won the day. The bucket worked fine for clearing 1100' of drive and another 700' feet of trails for feeding the horses. A couple weeks later it was all gone. If it was a routine task for me I would definitely find a good blade for the front of the machine...I might have even picked up the snow blower listed on CL for $2k recently.
I did enjoy the work though...PC180021.JPG

/ Snow removal.
Welcome from Black Lake(south of the Burg).It depends on load;I run a 8ft.Curtis snow plow mounted on the FEL and today with the foot or so of heavy snow had to run about 2,000 rpms to keep from bogging the HST.On my L4240 Kubota I normally run in medium and toggle up and down(HST+).Very rarely I have to go into low range.
I think you will find that a bucket is about the worst snow removal tool there is;better than a shovel for sure.You may want to look at a decent sized rear blade.Looks like you have a BH, so that may be a pain.
Better bet may be find an old truck plow and run on the front.

Hello again nybirdman! Hope all is well with my neighbor tractorbynet member! I'm only a few miles away from you! LOL The bucket does fine, except it takes a little longer because of spill over. But that's okay. Scrapes things down nicely. Maybe sometime in the future I'll decide on a plow for the tractor or truck. But for now, with the mild winters and lack of snow, I'll get by with the bucket. I have run an old truck plow converted to QA on a prior machine I had (Bobcat B300) and it worked well.

The backhoe is a quick attach and comes off pretty easily. But I've never wanted to move snow while backing up. The hoe serves as a nice counter weight. But maybe in the future I will come up with a better ballast. Probably don't even need it for snow removal though. My tires are loaded and it's already a pretty heavy tractor.

Last edited:
   / Snow removal. #7  
Mahindra 1538 here. I set the RPM at 2000. Medium gear to push down hill and low going up the drive if I'm pushing. Also low if I'm moving big piles or the frozen spring stuff.

/ Snow removal.
Honestly, it's been 6 years since I had to push any snow with the bucket. This past weekend there was 5" on the ground so hardly worth breaking out the tractor.
I don't have chains (and can't justify them for our annual snowfall) so my biggest pain was moving back up slight slopes, but slow won the day. The bucket worked fine for clearing 1100' of drive and another 700' feet of trails for feeding the horses. A couple weeks later it was all gone. If it was a routine task for me I would definitely find a good blade for the front of the machine...I might have even picked up the snow blower listed on CL for $2k recently.
I did enjoy the work though...View attachment 498729

Nice Larry. How many horses do you folks own? My wife just bought her first two in the last year. She is really enjoying having them! I just finished building the 36x54 horse barn in the late fall of 2016.