Snow Snow

/ Snow #11  
We also had some snow today . I decided to get the pt out and play in the snow with it. We only have about 3 inches of light powder . I only have the small bucket but it works good on my gravel driveway, just put the bucket down with the front at a very slight upward angle and put it in float and take off. I leave about 1 inch of show on the driveway and remove very few chips. If I use my big tractor with the backblade I take off a lot of chips so unless we have a lot of snow I just use the pt. I had no problem with traction pushing uphill or on the level with just turf tires. I did play around on a slope on my yard and tried to go up a grade of about 15 per cent and I did have traction problems, the rt. front wheel and the back rt. rear wheel both started spinning and I could not go forward any more, I backed up lifted the bucket and tried the same hill with the same results. Has anyone else had one front and one rear wheel spin and the other wheels not spin.?

/ Snow #12  
Ernie,

Having one side spin is the characteristic of the PT parallel/series drive design. Oil is supplied to each side in parallel with the outlet flow in series. Going forward, oil is supplied to the front wheel motors in parallel, and then flows to the rear motors. Going backwards it reverses. Each side has the capacity to use all of the variable volume pumps flow. If needed, I think you could install one or more flow dividers that would not allow one side to take all of the oil flow.

I hope this helps, I don't do that well explaining in text form, I need a paper and pencil.

Duane

/ Snow #13  
Scott, How do you like your 422? I am trying to buy one, but the paperwork is still in "committee". How do you like your 60" mower? I am looking at both the 48"& 60". How strong is the 48" bucket vs. the 45"? Any suggestions you can give on what were your deciding factors, ie. price, size, attachments would be greatly appreciated. Robert

/ Snow #14  
<font color=red>BTW, it was 8 degrees the other morning and as I walked by PT I thought, what the heck. Started right up! Sorta. After some coughing & wheezing. Amazing.</font color=red>

Well, you're doing a little better than me in the starting dept. I went home at lunch Wed. to put the blade on my 422 and have it ready to plow, but it wouldn't start. It cranked and cranked, but sounded like it wasn't getting any spark. I finally gave up. When I got back home after work I tried it one more time and after cranking a while it finally started to cough/ sputter then started. Started fine Thursday morning (when it counted) /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. Maybe it's like me and X-mas shopping - just needs that added little bit of time pressure to get going.

Scott

/ Snow #15  
Robert,
I love the 422 (except I think the Robin may be a little cold natured, see above). As for the 60" mower - it works great for me, but my lot is fairly flat. If you have some steep slopes you may want to go with the 48". As for other attachments, I got the 60" blade, 48" box blade, and large and small buckets when I bought the 422. I've used all of them quite a bit. If I had to pick one bucket, I'd probably go with the small one with teeth. (Edit - just read MR's 100 hr. review on his web site and he likes the large bucket - better get both just to be safe /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif ) I picked up the rake and tiller this fall but haven't had the chance to use them much yet. If I were doing it over again, I think the only thing I would do differently would be to go with an aftermarket box blade with a quick attach welded on. The scarifiers (teeth) on the PT box blade have only two positions (up & down) and are not very convinient to change.

You can't beat the price of a 422 right now. What a deal! Good luck with your decision. Don't know where you are in VA, but if you're ever over St. Mary's county MD way, drop me a note and come by for a test drive.

Scott

Scott

/ Snow #16  
Scott,
Maybe the carb bowl was empty and took some cranking to refill.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Guess you'll just have to use it more often.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Snow #17  
Hey Charlie do you have any pictures posted - The PT website
is not that good for 1845 pictures - plus I wanted to see what it looks like with single tires - also is it 116 inches from the front of the tires to to the back of the unit

/ Snow
Ed:

I've posted quite a few pictures over the past 10 months.

For a start, scroll through the posts at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=powertrac&Number=101045&page=10&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=> LINK</A>
Then, January & February posts in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=custom&Number=99458&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>THIS LINK</A>
A more recent is
54-207341-PB030001.JPG

/ Snow #19  
Scott,
Do you have a box blade model in mind for conversion...
I appreciate your comments on the PT unit and was wondering if a more convenient tooth adjustment would be better (than a tiller)for use in smoothing my compacted lawn...

/ Snow #20  
Scott,

I've encountered the same hard cold starting issue that you had with my PT422. What I've found out that works, is to put on my battery starter/charger to boost the starting RPM. I have tried all combinations of throttle and ckoke settings. What works best is full choke and 1/3 - 1/2 throttle. Even though it seems to crank over okay without the starter/charger, the additional boost starts it everytime. I can only figure that the additional RPM provides either better spark pickup from the ignition modules or builds up better compression. I know it is getting plenty of fuel because when I pull the plugs, they are soaked. When it needs a new battery, definitely more cold cranking amps.

Duane