Snow Snow

/ Snow
Another first for Power Trac - although a bit of a dubious honor.
How did they create a line of machines where the diesels cold start easier than a gas model?
I agree about more cold cranking amps. I have had bigger batteries cure a number of ills in machines other than the PT. Most recent, my '89 Chev pickup stopped shifting into 4wd. A couple of weeks later, the day before I scheduled it for 4wd repair, the battery died. The replacement pulls in the 4wd solenoid every time. Go figure.

/ Snow #22  
<font color=blue>Most recent, my '89 Chev pickup stopped shifting into 4wd. A couple of weeks later, the day before I scheduled it for 4wd repair, the battery died. The replacement pulls in the 4wd solenoid every time. Go figure. </font color=blue>

It's been my experience that batterys usually have a slow death, that is their performance is pretty bad for a while before they finally give up & won't start the vehicle.

/ Snow #24  
My 422 is also very difficult to start when cold, especially when below 20. I have noticed that the battery must be at full charge and I now leave a battery tender on it all the time. It start with full choke and one third to one half throttle. Hope this helps. Andrew

/ Snow #25  
bmkar: <font color=red> Scott,
Do you have a box blade model in mind for conversion...</font color=red>

Here's my Bush Hog SBX720 with quick attach welded on. The QA fits right up inside the SBX arms like a glove and was a simple weldup. The 1845 pulls it just fine. I've moved hundreds of tons of material and have regraded maybe 2,000 feet of driveway so far without a hitch. I might add a bit of weight to help in ripping and a side to side tilt system would be great but not really necessary.

Sedgewood

54-160592-SBX720.jpg

/ Snow #26  
Sedgewood,
Thank you for the pic...Wonder if a 4xx would pull it...What does she weigh? She's a "beauty" and a nice clean conversion. (A 6 footer?). I'll get back on the "tilt" adapter soon as I get my unit .../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Snow #27  
bmkar: <font color=green>Thank you for the pic...</font color=green>

There's another on the PT forum somewhere, a closeup of the quick attach plate mount. A search on "SBX720" might turn it up.

<font color=green>Wonder if a 4xx would pull it...What does she weigh?</font color=green>

Six foot works well on the 1845. It being a foot wider than the machine track is definitely a plus but you might be better off with a five footer on a 4xx.

SBX600 is 490 lbs
SBX720 is 550 lbs

Specs are at http://www.bushhog.com/turftoc.html

Sedgewood

/ Snow #28  
bkmar,
What Sedgewood has pictured is exactly what I had in mind, but since I already have the PT box blade I'll probably stick with it. I think the PT would do fine with any 4" blade.

Scott

/ Snow #29  
Andrew (and duane)
Thanks for the 422 cold starting advice. Looks like I may need to invest in a battery tender to keep me going through the winter. I suppose jumper cables to the truck would accomplish the same thing?

Andrew - welcome to the forum.

Scott