Snowblowing rules of thumb

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #31  
To prevent freezing of the 2nd stage, I clean it out as best as I can and then I spray Prestone De-Icer into the drum. Have not had a problem since.

What is Prestone De-Icer made of? Is it corrosive?

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #32  
Never get off tractor without first disengaging the blower PTO. I always obey this rule but I had a brain fart and bypassed this rule last week, got off the tractor to remove one of those $%&*#^ bundled flyers thrown on a driveway and stuck in the ice, the operative word here is ice. Parked about 4 feet from the bundle got out and just started to bend over and down I went, arm missed going into auger just by shear luck, (pulled it back just in time).

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #33  
What is Prestone De-Icer made of? Is it corrosive?

It is mostly Methanol, ethylene glycol and water. Should not be corrosive. Flammable and poisonous if ingested however.

I suppose there are not many people out there who remember when we only used methanol for anti freeze in our cars and tractors.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #34  
Sound good except the multiple cuts / #3 rule. Just get an HST or more hp so you can do it in one swipe!

You must adapt the rules to your equipment. Both my tractors are above 60 hp so I don't need to do multiple cuts, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored by everyone.

With regards to stepping off the tractor with PTO engaged 90% of the time that rule is golden. But sometimes maintenance requires that the blower's moving parts be observed in motion by the operator himself, if you do your own troubleshooting. So there are safety rules to abide by in seat switch bypass situations:

1) Don't do it if you're not the one doing the maintenance, let the techie take the risk.

2) Don't do it with other people around.

3) Always do this with the blower raised, not sitting on the ground

4) Point the chute away from you (duh!)

5) Stay at least 10 feet away from the moving parts so if you trip you won't fall into the auger

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #35  
It is mostly Methanol, ethylene glycol and water. Should not be corrosive. Flammable and poisonous if ingested however.

I suppose there are not many people out there who remember when we only used methanol for anti freeze in our cars and tractors.

And always carried a blanket or two in the car for cold legs and feet. My Dad had a '34 Ford and that is what we did.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #36  
I use windshield washer antifreeze -35F and splash some in the fan of the blower and also around the chute where it rotates.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #37  
IN the spring car wax the heck out of the inside of the blower- then your ready for that first snow on the fall! The wax makes the snow fly easier and farther.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #39  
Here in New England we often get the heavy wet snow, especially in the spring when it rains and snows at the same time, or snows then warms up into a nice slush.
1)Spraying a coat of oil, WD40, Pam or somesuch on all snow contact parts can do a really good job at keeping the chute unplugged, to some extent.
2) Watch closely how much snow is coming out of the chute, how fast, and how far it's being blown. Watching this for changes and listening to the motor one can usually detect an oncoming plug.