Snowblowing rules of thumb

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #51  
It's a good idea to put in a few driveway reflectors (the kind that are 3' tall) so you know you're actually clearing the drive (instead of the lawn). I didn't realize I was clearing about half the blower's width (about 36") off the drive until the snow finally started melting last winter (snow in Vermont doesn't always melt between snow events).

I do over 3 dozen driveways in our area and buy 3/8 rebar (20' lengths) and cut them into 5 pieces with a cut off wheel on a hand held grinder. They go in the ground easily, and if they get hit and bent over are easy to straighten up again. I buy cheap tennis balls at a dollar store and cut a small X in each ball, and place them on the exposed end of the rebar. That protects the end and makes them easier to see.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #52  
I buy cheap tennis balls at a dollar store and cut a small X in each ball, and place them on the exposed end of the rebar. That protects the end and makes them easier to see.

Now why didn't I think of that:mur:
I do the same, but I put about a foot of rubber hose at the end, painted florescent orange.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #53  
First rule of thumb: Keep your thumbs. And fingers clear. (Even a shut off snowblower, especially if jammed/plugged, can have stored energy in that coiled auger, which can release and turn the auger and the connected blower.)

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #54  
Clarence Modification for your Snowblowers. I've added them to my old Craftsman blower and many of my friends Blowers of various makes and models. It improves throwing distance and eliminates Clogging. ONLY issue is if you park the Blower without cleaning out the Impeller area, the impellers do tend to freeze to the Tunnel. Usually I just toss a bucket of warm water down the shoot just before firing up the machine for another run.
I read the whole thread and it seems like most of you folks are in Canada. Here in Lower New York and out on Long Island we seem to always get very wet heavy snowfalls. Can't just rev it up and push through it. Half cuts and slow Forward speed is the only way to get it done. Not to mention the wet snow makes it much more slippery then Very cold temps and dry snow. Lemon pledge, down the shoot, helps the wet stuff move freely.
My Coast Guard Overall Mustang suit keeps me too warm no matter what the wind and temps are.
No plow on my tractor shown in my AVATAR yet. The tractor is equipped with AUX hydraulics so ...someday.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #55  
Hey Tony, I just looked at your "toys"....
Very nice, I like the chevy step side.
I didn't see a pic of your JCB there, just got myself one, a jcb 210s 4x4x4

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #56  
When I had a smaller tractor - Ford 1700 4WD - I would use the rear mounted snow blower to move the berms created from plowing with the rear blade. The first time always resulted in one or two shear bolts needing replacement - rocks or sticks or etc. The rule of thumb I found - - the blown snow will ALWAYS come back on you, no matter which way the chute is pointed - I had an open station tractor. Now that I have a larger tractor the rear blade will handle anything we receive here. And if it doesn't - - hey, I'm retired and in no hurry to go anywhere. I have a mile long, gravel driveway.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #57  
Hey Tony, I just looked at your "toys"....
Very nice, I like the chevy step side.
I didn't see a pic of your JCB there, just got myself one, a jcb 210s 4x4x4

Just looked on the JCB website. Looks like JCB stopped offering the 210 and my MIDI in the US. It's still on teh UK website. Benefits - JCB MIDI CX Backhoe Loader
I looked at the 210's when I was looking for a machine. The 210 is similar, if I remember correct, removable Hoe and Quick attach like the MIDICX. I will be doing many Agricultural duties so the removable Hoe was critical. I also wanted a Hoe where I just spun the seat around. Not like the Ag tractors where you are hoping off the Hoe seat and into the Cab to move 6 feet and continue your ditch.
Midi CX Backhoe Removal - YouTube

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #58  
At the start of the season I will drag my back blade over the driveway for a few snows and get the snow packed down for a nice smooth surface to blow on. I also put a couple of 2x4's under both the blower and the rear blade before I set them down on the ground. The rear tires are parked on old wooden doors that were destined for the dump. I have a dirt floor in my tractor shed and no heat.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #59  
The 210 is similar, if I remember correct, removable Hoe and Quick attach like the MIDICX. I will be doing many Agricultural duties so the removable Hoe was critical. I also wanted a Hoe where I just spun the seat around. Not like the Ag tractors where you are hoping off the Hoe seat and into the Cab to move 6 feet and continue your ditch.

Ya, my 210 doesn't have the removable hoe, but I do like the idea of it "tucking in" and not stick out like a soar thumb. I'll see how it handles in the snow this year.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #60  
I have B1750 Kubota with rear snowblower. Seasons other than winter I have a grader blade. Because I have half mile of snow removal the "ole" neck gets stiff looking backwards. This year thought I would just use the loader bucker and try the the grader blade. My problem is, I can't figure out how to stop the grader blade from swinging sideways which causes it to dip and ending up tearing up the road and grass on side of road. So what's the trick on how to stop it from swinging and to keep it straight and rigid in one spot???
Any suggestions would be a great help.