SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!!

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #21  
Myself, I'd go with a gas but there are some good diesel engines in UTV's. But if you shop for only diesels, you'll be limiting yourself.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #22  
The 25 mph has to do with safety equipment. Faster than 25 mph and it has to have doors or safety net. I like my Kawasaki Mule, easy to get in or out, which comes in handy as you get older. I would have preferred diesel when I bought but there were not any out there at the time. The old models were all gone, and the new models hadn't come out yet.

20190302_124554.jpg

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #23  
I’ve Bobcat 3400D- basically the same as the Polaris Diesel but badged for Bobcat. It is a bit noisier than a gas model and certainly is speed limited. I bought a diesel for one simply reason- most of my equipment is diesel and it cuts down on fuel storage.

My biggest gripe with the 3400D was the crappy clutch that it was fitted with and the resulting extreme difficulty in shifting in and out of gear-replaced it with a clutch that was really calibrated for a diesel (and really focused on aligning primary and secondary) so it now shifts gear much easier ( not perfect but a lot better).

It is a working vehicle- if I wanted speed I’d buy a gas side by side.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #24  
I am ready to spring on a UTV and I am trying to decide between diesel and gas. 80% work vehicle with maybe a hunting trip or 2 per year.

Unfortunately, the Kubota options are out of my price range. Well into the $12-$15K range used

The only main accessories I am looking for are a roof and windshield. I have a winch and LEDs to put on it already.

Have a couple other diesel options.
#1 is a Kawasaki Mule Pro DXT
It is a 2017 but it has 1800 hours on it. For $9700 asking price. That seems like a lot to me. I think it was a fleet vehicle for a utility because of the hours and it has numbers on it. Part of me thinks that is a good thing as it was probably maintained well. Has a windshield and roof.

#2 Is a 2014 Polaris Ranger 900 with 378 hours for $7500 asking. Guy says it is a good unit. A few small gremlins like tough shifting sometimes and a slightly bent ROPS. Roof no windshield 1.5 hours + away

#3 2017 Kioti Mechron with 1079 hours on it. For $8700 asking. Guy says it is a tight machine Has roof and windshield. This one is the closest at about an hour away

I have seen lots of Polaris haters. I do like the idea of a construction oriented machine like the Kioti or a CarryAll. Any advice ?
HELP ME SPEND MY MONEY!!
All the diesel ones I have seen folks buy brand new, they were sold for scrap or parts later. Polaris gas is fine and dandy if people would read instructions. If you lay it over sideways, do not start the engine without priming. That is a 5,000$ mistake. I worked at Polaris, I know. Changed many an engine because of that.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!!
I drove a Kubota diesel 900 and a Kioti Mechron yesterday.

The Kubota had 1800 hours but still felt REALLY solid but SLOW, even slower chugging uphill. Didn't love the instant brakes of the hydrostatic tranny but I think I would have gotten used to it.

The Mechron was a bit faster but rattled like crazy, didn't love the clutch engagement.

I think I have made the decision to go with something a bit faster. Probably a Polaris Ranger. The purpose of this vehicle for me was more of a fast response vehicle rather than a grunting low torque work machine. I have the tractor for the heavy lifting/pulling. Even though 25 is way faster than the tractor I think in the long run I would kick myself for limiting my speed to 25mph.

If the Yamahas rhinos had a bench seat I would already hae one. LOTS of decent looking Rhinos for a good price.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #26  
Last edited:
   / SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #27  
“Deisel are a lot quieter the gas in average.”

I am guessing you are referring to “outside “ engine/mechanical noise as the loudest model that i have been inside of was a diesel cabbed version

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #28  
How about an XUV835? Starting at "only" $39,449 .... but that includes the "Pro" brush guard ....

Attachments

• XUV835.jpg
    XUV835.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 87
   / SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #29  
I wouldn't buy a fleet vehicle thinking it was maintained. I'm pretty sure my fleet own rhino had the original oil from when it was built in it.

/ SO READY to spring on a UTV - Trying to decide gas or diesel, HELP!! #30  
I wouldn't buy a fleet vehicle thinking it was maintained. I'm pretty sure my fleet own rhino had the original oil from when it was built in it.
If it's a good" fleet maintained" vehicle they should at least have all manufacturers recalls taken care of.