So would you buy a new GM truck now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / So would you buy a new GM truck now? #1  

wallace

Veteran Member, Approved Advertiser
Tractor
MAHINDRA
Knowing that GM is ever so close to filing backruptcy would you still buy a new truck?

/ So would you buy a new GM truck now? #2  
If I needed a truck and the deal was right you bet,I'm sure those big 3 names will be around in some way longer than we will.

/ So would you buy a new GM truck now? #3  
Remember Chrysler in the 80's. They emerged a much stronger company afterwards. Ain't no way GM is going under. Get aload of this. I'm in the Middle East right now as I type and GM has a huge presence here. They can't get them fast enough here. A 2 month back log for a new car or truck and they want the fully loaded top models not the econo boxes. Chevy trucks and SUV's are everywhere and most are the ones costing over 40K dollars US. For some reason Ford and Chrysler are practically non existent. Next in line are the European stuff. All work trucks are cab over style Mitsubishi or the like.

/ So would you buy a new GM truck now? #4  
GM and probably Chrysler and Ford to lesser extents are history. That ship has sailed. I say there's no way the Govt is going to bail them out. The company AND the union has their heads so buried in denial to the situation that they can't see what needs to be done. Foreign cars are stacking up on the docks, in anticipation of dealer orders that aren't coming. More on the way from Japan as we speak in more ships. GM can not stay in business, even if they got a bail-out, for long since the foreign car makers will have to cut their prices. GM can not sell cars at a loss, clean up their finances AND pay back a bail-out loan. They are the walking dead. It's only a matter of time and even that is pretty short. Time to get real friends. We are headed for some REAL hard times. I just checked my 401K. It's down 44% from last year. That means I am not going to be able to retire next year let alone buy a new truck. LOTS of Americans in this boat. The US dollar is getting stronger too, meaning GM is going to have to discount their truck even more to beat the foreign car makers.

On that note: if you bought a brand new GM truck and GM filed bankruptcy, your warranty is history. That is a contract for service and parts that you will have to stand in line for to collect on. And don't think about not paying the truck loan if GM went under either. That's an entirely different company and you won't get away with it.

/ So would you buy a new GM truck now? #5  
And don't think about not paying the truck loan if GM went under either. That's an entirely different company and you won't get away with it.

Well........................................there goes my whole plan ! :mad:

/ So would you buy a new GM truck now? #6  
I would wait. My fear would be the warranty. Like stated before, you could loose your warranty but still have to pay for the vehicle because the loans are through a third party.

Chris

/ So would you buy a new GM truck now? #7  
Ford has enough reserves to make it through 2009. If I were to buy a truck it would be a Ford. I am not a huge fan of the 6.4 diesel since it will not be out long, but, I think Ford has the best chance of making it through this with no help.

I own a GMC diesel, and its going in this weekend to get the ecm program recall and everything else done I can. I think i will have a very expensive, unwarrantied truck very soon......:(

/ So would you buy a new GM truck now? #8  
So, for those of you scared to do so, why not negotiate in a 3rd party warranty contract in to the deal? The thing is, my 06 duramax has been trouble free but I have a 3rd party warranty on it as well, just in case. I got a great deal on it, thanks to some rebates, my supplier discount, etc. I would think you would have even more room to negotiate today with the desperation on their part to move vehicles.

My biggest concern isn't the trucks though. The thing the Big 3 totally don't get is their cars suck, plain and simple. They have no concept of what the consumer wants. Sure, the corvette is great, so is the Mustang, etc. But, that isn't what most people are buying. There is a reason people buy Honda's, Nissans, Mazdas, VWs, etc. Looks AND function. I absolutely love my Duramax, but am considering trading my BMW on a Jetta TDI. It looks nice and has the engine and fuel economy I want. Find me an American car that is even close. If the economy was better I would stick to BMW and go for the 335D (their diesel monster with great fuel economy). If one of the big 3 had something like the Jetta or the 335D, I would buy it in a heartbeat, even if it was a little more expensive.

/ So would you buy a new GM truck now? #9  
I love my Ford Truck and others love the GM and Dodge Trucks. I wonder if we would all feel the same if the foreign makers had anything comparable? Look at the car market and what the last poster said. Yes, the big three have made strides in quality but at best they are where the Honda's and Toyota's were 4 years ago. They are playing catchup.

Chris

/ So would you buy a new GM truck now? #10  
Bankruptcy doesn't mean gone forever. it's a legalized restructuring process.

GM Ford & Chrysler are not going away. they will change into smaller companies that will continue to sell cars & trucks, but less of them and less variety.

I would say that if GM, Ford & Chrysler were gone by the end of '09, in terms of trucks, what would big utility & construction companies buy? There are NO other HD diesel pickups & small trucks even built to replace them.

What would your typical regional size construction companies use in place of a GMC 3500 4x4 crew cab? A Honda Ridgeline? :rolleyes:

I'm looking at the upside of this. I think this may give the automakers some way of finally riiding themselves of the UAW and the topheavy corp structure that killed them in the first place.

I could also see a scenario where they may build only trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.