Soft snow plow edges for asphalt

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt
Nice fab work! You definitely have a lot less weight on your plow edge than me, by maybe 3x or more. But I have about 2.25x more contact area with the 50% wider and 50% thicker piece of UHMW, so probably not too bad.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #22  
Nice fab work! You definitely have a lot less weight on your plow edge than me, by maybe 3x or more. But I have about 2.25x more contact area with the 50% wider and 50% thicker piece of UHMW, so probably not too bad.
Oh thank u! Sounds like you have a way more capable plow than my little guy. Mines just for my driveway, I certainly couldn't take this thing out on the road, for instance.

Not more cable, just wider and heavier. Mine's just for my driveway too, but it's 72" wide with dual cylinder hydraulic pivot, and mounted on a 320R loader, so it's pretty heavy. My goal when I got it was to be able to plow my 7000 sq.ft. of driveway in less than 20 minutes, and still get to work (nearly) on-time, after an overnight snow. Other than the parking areas at the house and barn, it can do the full 10 ft. width in one pass to the street and back.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #24  
If you have a rear blade, winterdeer, reverse the blade 180 degrees and plow that way. This DEFINITELY will not damage the asphalt. I do it this way if the driveway is still soft and I really need to clear snow.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #25  
I don't understand why people fight their plows. Lowering your pucks relative to the plow will prevent the plow from digging into the surface of the road. See all the commercial guys plowing? That's what we do, we lower our pucks by adding shim washers.

I don't understand why people fight their plows. Lowering your pucks relative to the plow will prevent the plow from digging into the surface of the road. See all the commercial guys plowing? That's what we do, we lower our pucks by adding shim washers.
Done. It is set at max height possible with the washers provided with the plow. But due to hilly drive and some tight turns, plow still found ways to dig in, esp the corners. I could raise it a even a hair further by buying a few more washers than the OEM kit, before I would need taller custom pucks, but then it wouldn’t do a good job at clearing the mixed frozen stuff we get. The UHMW edge seems like a better solution, but I guess we will soon find out.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #27  
Always options
tractors 11 20 22 (10).JPG

Always options
You caught my attention. What exactly is going on with that bucket? Looks like a bolt-on tooth bar, but with a hard cutting edge in place of the teeth? Not sure what those things are that look like mini curling stones, or why one is rotated 90 degrees relative to the other three.

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #29  
You caught my attention. What exactly is going on with that bucket? Looks like a bolt-on tooth bar, but with a hard cutting edge in place of the teeth? Not sure what those things are that look like mini curling stones, or why one is rotated 90 degrees relative to the other three.
It's a "snow-edge" by Ratchet Rake that has a "sacrificial" edge to save the blacktop.
What I like about it is it makes a novice operator like me with a FEL much more proficient in that the angle can be ± 15 degrees without issue. ( the one toggle at 90 isn't tightened down yet ) And just to mention ... the edge is advertised to last 32 hours but I'm on my 5th season without much wear at all. ( Kinda makes me regret buying the spare edge )

Snow-Edge-Top.jpg

/ Soft snow plow edges for asphalt #30  
I have a SSQA plow on my loader and quickly discovered that floating the loader did not prevent the plow from digging into my gravel driveway. I added a float valve to the curl cylinders and that solved the problem. It's a manual valve that I have to remember to engage after setting the loader arms to the correct height and then disengage before raising the loader.