Soft winter = bad bugs this year?

/ Soft winter = bad bugs this year? #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
The fact that I'm getting swarmed by mosquitoes down back this week makes me wonder if the mild winter is going to cause a huge influx of bugs this year. If we have a wet spring I think we will be in trouble.

In the pet store I expect we will be selling A LOT of pesticide products for flea and tick problems. I sure hope the deer flies aren't worse, they suck!

What do you guys think? Any old-timer predictions?

/ Soft winter = bad bugs this year? #2  
Well here is what I think.. go to Alaska. Big cold winters and the biggest mosquito's on the planet.. I don't think winter's severity has anything to do with bugs.

James K0UA

/ Soft winter = bad bugs this year? #3  
Oh yeah. Ticks and mosquitos out already. Gnats swarming everywhere.

/ Soft winter = bad bugs this year?
Well here is what I think.. go to Alaska. Big cold winters and the biggest mosquito's on the planet.. I don't think winter's severity has anything to do with bugs.

James K0UA

Never thought of that. Perhaps some bugs yes and others no.

Here's an article from some entomologists at Purdue: Indiana: Effects of Mild Winter on Insect Populations

To summarize the article: maybe, maybe not.;)

Steve

See how good TBN is, I ask, I receive!

/ Soft winter = bad bugs this year? #6  
I have been seeing a ton of ticks already. Seems early to be seeing so many in March.

/ Soft winter = bad bugs this year? #7  
Certainly the bugs are out earlier. I read a news report that talked to BugOlogists concerning a warm winter and more bugs. They said no. I would think that a cold winter would at least kill SOME eggs and/or bugs that live over the winter.....

Of course the ticks and chiggers are so bad at our place I doubt it could really get any worse.... :eek:

Later,
Dan

/ Soft winter = bad bugs this year? #8  
Not sure if the bugs are thicker, but they sure are out early. I did notice last summer during our drought, a marked reduction in nighttime bugs, mostly moths.