Solar AC/DC Welder

/ Solar AC/DC Welder #1  

George2615

Tractor
LS XR3037HC
Anyone heard of this welder? I haven't found anything online. I believe it was built in 1995 from a tag on it. It's a model 2234, has Hi and Low plugs for AC and DC. Has the hand crank on top for setting the amps. Came with 40' lead with clamp for ground and a 48' lead with stinger. I saw it at a local car show / flea market today with a $100 tag on it. I talked with the owner about it who said make an offer as he didn't want to go back home with it. I offered $50 and and he said OK. For that price I couldn't pass it up. The leads are worth that much. When I got it home I took the hand crank off and blew all the dust out of the inside. Looks to be in good condition. I didn't really need another welder as I already have a gas powered Miller Bobcat NT250 AC/DC welder generator for most of my welding plus a small Mig welder. I figured I could use it for small jobs so I don't have to roll out the Miller and fire that up. I have to wired up a 220V receptacle to test it. If it checks out OK I'll make a cart with handle to roll it around.

Attachments

• DSCN1334 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1334 (Medium).JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 1,298
   / Solar AC/DC Welder #3  
When I saw "solar" in the title my first thought was oh no here we go with a welding 3/8" plate with a solar powered welder thread :laughing:

/ Solar AC/DC Welder #4  
I'm pretty sure it was made by Century.
G2326.JPG
[Just a picture I pulled off the net.]

/ Solar AC/DC Welder #6  
When I searched bing for "solar 2234 welder" It brought up a link to the old century website titled "110-122 2234 Solar PowerDisc 230/140 amp AC/DC arc welder". Of course when you click on it, it brings up a page saying your not authorized to view the page. But you should be able to email either the people running the century web site or Lincoln Electric for a pdf of the manual if they still have it.

/ Solar AC/DC Welder #7  
SpoolGunRack-13.jpg

Bought my Solar AC/DC in 1975 - I've blown the dust out once, tightened up one of the front panel jacks once, never had a hiccup other than the loose connector. Still works good, better than me on some days :rolleyes:

Like you said, hard to get hurt when the leads were worth more than you paid... Steve

/ Solar AC/DC Welder #8  
I had a Sears that looked just like that back in the early 80s.

/ Solar AC/DC Welder #9  
When I saw "solar" in the title my first thought was oh no here we go with a welding 3/8" plate with a solar powered welder thread :laughing:
That was my exact thought as well!

I was trying to picture how big that solar array would have to be to do a well. LOL.

/ Solar AC/DC Welder #10  
That was my exact thought as well!
I was trying to picture how big that solar array would have to be to do a well. LOL.

The MIG that welded the 3/8" test plates shown earlier required 20A @ 120v or 2400 watts to weld at full power. A 4kW inverter could power a 120v MIG just fine. I'd guess that you'd need a 4,000 watt array, and welding between 10AM and 2PM to not draw your batteries down. Just for discussion sake. But realistically you would weld anytime, with stored battery power.

To weld with 240v you would need something like an 8kW inverter, that's getting kinda hefty.

But careful even trying this, the fellas with 8 kW inverters may get their feelings hurt. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: