Solar for barn

/ Solar for barn #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Our barn is about 200' from the house, see attached diagram. House is bad spot for solar panels because of trees and layout, but barn is a good spot for solar panels. We have an automatic backup generator that runs the whole house if we lose power. My question is if I add solar panels and inverter at the barn and tie in to the 80A subpanel in the barn, will there be a problem if we lose power and the generator automatically comes on? I don't understand if it's a problem to have the panels feeding the house service panel at the same time the generator is feeding the house service panel.

Attachments

• House Electric Diagram.pdf
    24.2 KB · Views: 70
   / Solar for barn #2  
I have a grid tied solar system and this is my understanding:
I have two electric fuse panels feeding off my meter base, and solar is tied to panel in garage. You will need some type of controller to control the output of the solar array and generator, that's what the grid provides is a place for excess power to go. A battery bank would do the same thing.
Thankfully I have not had to use back up generator yet, but if I do the solar gets shut off.
Illinois did have a separate rebate/grant besides the Feds.

9.2Kvh system installed was $27K got 8k back from IRS and 11k back from IL shines program. I'm saving about $200 a month so my pay back is about 3 1/2 years.

Dave

/ Solar for barn #3  
Our barn is about 200' from the house, see attached diagram. House is bad spot for solar panels because of trees and layout, but barn is a good spot for solar panels. We have an automatic backup generator that runs the whole house if we lose power. My question is if I add solar panels and inverter at the barn and tie in to the 80A subpanel in the barn, will there be a problem if we lose power and the generator automatically comes on? I don't understand if it's a problem to have the panels feeding the house service panel at the same time the generator is feeding the house service panel.
We've solar panels on the carriage house. The whole house generator 200 amp panel is not tied to the carriage house. So, the solar panels keep putting stuff to the grid when the generator is on.

/ Solar for barn #4  
We have a 4kW solar array on the roof that is grid tied. We also have propane backup generator. When the transfer switch kicks in to power the house from generator the output of the array goes directly to the ground. This is not designed as an off-grid solution, at all.

/ Solar for barn
I figured out how to handle the generator issue. Generac makes this control module that communicates with the transfer switch. I can put a control module next to the inverter so that before the transfer switch turns on the generator, it disconnects the inverter. So when the generator comes on there's no danger of it feeding the main panel at the same time as the solar system.