Sold on Seafoam

/ Sold on Seafoam #31  
Seafom is basically Stoddard solvent and mineral spirts and it is a good solvent., but a tad over priced.
Nope. Stoddard solvent IS mineral spirits, same thing.
It's mostly Toluene with a hint of Naphtha tossed in. Sometimes available in gallon cans at the box stores (Paint dept for Toluene, camp stove fuel for Naptha) for much less than $8 per 16 oz bottle. I've tried the home brew, it works. The automotive chemical industry depends on the general motoring public's overall non-familiarity of chemicals to reap huge profits.

Last edited:
   / Sold on Seafoam #32  
My Stihl chainsaw started having trouble idling. Then it wouldn't idle at all. And it would be hard to start when the engine died if I let the RPM drop. If I let the saw sit for 10 or 15 minutes it would start fairly easily again but I would need to get the RPM up right away or it would die. I was gonna take the carb off and clean it out but instead decided to try using some Seafoam first to see if it would solve the problem. I poured a little into the gas tank and shook it up. The saw was cold and started right up as usual. Then it started to die as usual so I got on the throttle and ran the saw at a higher RPM so it wouldn't die. After about 30 seconds I released the throttle and the saw idled fine. The next day I used the saw and not only does it idle fine it revs higher and starts on the first pull, which it used to do but hadn't for a while. Now I need to put some Seafoam in the gas can too. I really didn't expect the stuff to work and especially didn't expect it to work so quickly. The stuff is really impressive.
Eric
I used to use Seafoam in my motorcycle but then switched to Techron. Seafoam has alcohol in it. I don't see that on the Techron MSDS sheet.

/ Sold on Seafoam #33  
EVERY MOTORCYCLE AND MARINE ENGINE MECHANIC I HAVE EVER TALKED TO HAS STATED IT IS IMPERATIVE TO USE ETHANOL FREE FUEL TO AVOID EXPENSIVE FREQUENT CARB CLEANING/REBUILD. ETHANOL ALSO DETERIORATES THE RUBBER FUEL LINES AND SEALS OVER TIME. I ALSO USE SEAFOAM PERIODICALLY AS A TUNEUP ON 4 STROKE 4 WHEELERS, 2 STROKE OUTBOARDS, ALL 3 4WD VEHICLES (H3, XJ CHEROKEE, 2000 SILVERADO)

/ Sold on Seafoam #34  
I buy the spray also. I’ll take off the air cleaner and spray the carb and let it sit for a couple of hours. A litle bit in the gas and it really cleans it up and runs good. A guy gave me a husky leaf blower and the gas was NASTY bad. You could see the dried oil in the tank. Poured in sea foam, sprayed the carb and let it sit for 2 days. Dumped out the icky stuff. Put in fresh gas with just a splash of sea foam and it started after a few pulls. Ran rough and died a couple times but finally fired and smoothed out after a couple of minutes. The stuff works for me.
I add it to all my gas instead of stabil.

/ Sold on Seafoam #35  
Nope. Stoddard solvent IS mineral spirits, same thing.
It's mostly Toluene with a hint of Naphtha tossed in. Sometimes available in gallon cans at the box stores (Paint dept for Toluene, camp stove fuel for Naptha) for much less than $8 per 16 oz bottle. I've tried the home brew, it works. The automotive chemical industry depends on the general motoring public's overall non-familiarity of chemicals to reap huge profits.
All I know is, it's expensive for what you get. Been using ATF and naptha for years as a break free.

/ Sold on Seafoam #36  
Been using chainsaws and 2 cycle engines over 50 years. I always use a little more oil in the fuel mix. I can deal with a little more smoke easier than repairs.

/ Sold on Seafoam #37  
Just search MSDS to see what's in seafoam for % of alcohol, or other products. I'm retired(2015) now from VW and Techron was choice for cleaning injectors and for "some" running issues like misfire VW would even pay for under the warranty claim. Techron does well when used regularly as stated.

/ Sold on Seafoam #38  
My Stihl chainsaw started having trouble idling. Then it wouldn't idle at all. And it would be hard to start when the engine died if I let the RPM drop. If I let the saw sit for 10 or 15 minutes it would start fairly easily again but I would need to get the RPM up right away or it would die. I was gonna take the carb off and clean it out but instead decided to try using some Seafoam first to see if it would solve the problem. I poured a little into the gas tank and shook it up. The saw was cold and started right up as usual. Then it started to die as usual so I got on the throttle and ran the saw at a higher RPM so it wouldn't die. After about 30 seconds I released the throttle and the saw idled fine. The next day I used the saw and not only does it idle fine it revs higher and starts on the first pull, which it used to do but hadn't for a while. Now I need to put some Seafoam in the gas can too. I really didn't expect the stuff to work and especially didn't expect it to work so quickly. The stuff is really impressive.
Eric
Moneta Farm Suppy is my Stihl dealer. They recommend using the little bottle of Stihl 2 cycle oil in 2 1/2 gallons of gas (93 non ethanol) then fill the little bottle with SeaFoam. Add to the 2 1/2 gallons. I use it in all my 2cycle machines. Works great. Good start ups even after long layovers.

/ Sold on Seafoam #39  
I use non-unleaded fuel in all my small 2-stroke engines. I never have a need for cleaners.

/ Sold on Seafoam #40  
Eric
I use Sea Foam in my gas cans then in my saw, woodchipper or lawn mower.