Some real Trac-tors...

/ Some real Trac-tors... #31  
That is true, I just couldn't find any of the pictures I had of the Ford Snow Groomers. The track setups for snow groomers is impressive to watch and even better to see on a <font color="blue"> Blue </font> tractor

/ Some real Trac-tors... #33  
Thanks for that link, I see they also make TC45D groomers.
TC45D&TM125d-EW2.jpg

/ Some real Trac-tors... #34  
<font color="blue"> Steering is accomplished by means of the tractor articulating against the rear drag.

The groomer steers just as easily in forward or reverse, whether on trail, in deep snow, up snowbanks, etc...

The tractor steering wheel is still used to steer the unit. The original tractor steering system has been modified for high capacity operation. Hydraulic flow of up to 20 gallons per minute on TS series, 28 gallons per minute on TM series, and a special load sensing steering orbit allow for smooth, fast steering action. Steering action responds and feels just like conventional automotive steering. Even an inexperienced operator is comfortable with the steering almost immediately. There is no need to use the tractor brakes when steering.
</font>

Interesting steering. I wondered how they did that. Seems like you have to have the drag on and dragging at all times. More conventional purpose built snow groomers work like a bulldozer, with independent track control. Knowing next to nothing about snow grooming, it seems like the ag tractor style would be a pain, but it's about the only way using a tractor and a set of continuous tracks. Unless it were to be done exclusively with independent breaking, and I seriously doubt the breaks/differential would stand that for long.

Nick

/ Some real Trac-tors... #35  
Exactly. They use a ram steer setup for steering. I haven't driven one but I understand in a tight slow situation they don't work that well. Some of the smaller groomers by Bombardier (BR110) used a ram steer setup. There are a few tractors around New Hampshire setup like this. Mostly Massey Fergusons though. Biggest reason I have heard of is local dealer. Bombardier for us is handled out of Quebec, 5hours away. Piston Bulley is out of Maine somewhere. Tuckers out of Northern VT.

I have seen two track setups, the one above where they keep a large diamater "Wheel" in the back, and another where its the same size all around. The Larger setup is suppose to be better because you run in lower gears. They can be switched back to normal use with a few hours work, but I don't know if any club actually does it.

One of the reasons our club is not as interested in them is there is only one seat. Hard to train with.

/ Some real Trac-tors... #36  
The Bombardier (I think) I studied up close was in the Swiss Alps. Pretty slick machine. Something like 36" wide tracks. Thing that threw me for a while was the winch. On a 360 pivoting arm in the middle of the machine. For those that don't know, the winch is for tieing off to a fixed solid object at the top of the mountain, then you can work on slopes WAY to steep to stay on otherwise. Even a low slung crawler with 36" wide tracks. I can understand the training necessity. I'd need trained in depends use.

Nick

/ Some real Trac-tors... #37  
I went for a ride in a Bombardier BR 180 the other night. Thats a nice machine. The tracks were controlled by two little joysticks on the operator's left armrest, the front blade with a joystick on the right, and all sorts of other buttons and levers for the tiller and track setter. This groomer is used for xc trails, and I can tell you it is much nicer to operate than a snowmobile and drag. There is just something about being able to drive around in lots of snow, up and down hills, turning on a dime, and not worry too much about getting stuck.

/ Some real Trac-tors... #38  
Wow. They have the MP model. The steering sticks on the left arm is a real sweet setup. Ours has the two sticks in between your legs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It works but there is no support for your arm. Those 8 way front blades are are something else to control when your trucking down the trail at 7mph. It is a beautiful sight though to have the blade down and see the snow roll over as your going. One little twitch with your hand though and your cutting a new trail! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Some real Trac-tors... #39  
I was real impressed with it. I guess its only on its second year up at the touring center. It replaced an older BR 160, and I was told that since no one actually spec'd the new one out, the guys who set it up added about all the options except for the sunroof. That 8 way blade was impressive with all the control and visibilty for using it. Since they were expecting rain the following night, we actually did some odd things to parts of the trail, such as where they know standing water would collect, we scraped all the snow off the trail and pushed it to the far side of the wet area to save it. The ability of the snowcat to spin around on the trail is what impressed me the most. I'd love to operate one.

/ Some real Trac-tors... #40  
I was looking in there scrap book about the steering and saw the drag's steering cylinders. I think they use the articulation to keep from damaging the ground before the drag goes over it so there wont be soft spots in the compacted trail. I think you could use thesteering brakes like you do on a pete moss trac conversion. Also in the scrap book section it shows the tractor used without the drag running the tracks and a boom mower. I believe the thing uses the brakes mostly but the drags steering would also help if it was in a deep soft snow by wiggling like a scraper does to get loose from a soft spot.