Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #11  
Edit:. I read the Kubota was 10.5 hp. My jd L110 is 17.5, but no pto. I don't know what I'd do with the Kubota.
Yeah, will say there is a difference in pulling power between the two, plus the difference torque wise between a diesel and gas. Biggest problem with the B6000's PTO is that it turns backwards. I had forgot about that.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #12  
I found a good price on a Kubota B6000e. It is only the tractor. I can only cut the grass with it?

Edit:. I read the Kubota was 10.5 hp. ((powering 900 pounds bare tractor weight))
The Kubota B6000e is the first Kubota tractor model imported into the USA. Besides having a weight of only 900 pounds, it MAY be only 2-WD. After 50 years of wear it is unlikely the B6000e engine is generating 10.5 horsepower; probably ~ 8 horsepower.

I can only cut grass with it? YES - But not very long grass.

Contemporary subcompact tractors weigh 1,400 to 1,700 pounds. Subcompact tractors are fine for mowing grass and moving light loads around a smooth property in the FEL bucket. You can plow an established garden plot with a subcompact tractor, though most with a choice would prepare a garden with a PTO powered rototiller. Few employ subcompact weight tractors on more than two (2) smooth acres, three smooth acres tops.

As soon as a plow on a (light) subcompact tractor encounters any but the smallest underground root or other obstruction, including hard ground, the tractor will lose traction and stop.

When plowing dirt, tractor capability is a factor of 2-WD or 4-WD and tractor weight.

A 4-WD compact tractor with a bare tractor weight of at least 2,700 pounds will pull a single bottom turning plow through almost any moist soil, including sod which has been mowed VERY SHORT or previously killed with Roundup/Glycophosphate. Plow will sever tree roots up to 1" if roots are not too concentrated.

Last edited:
   / Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #13  
I have about an acre where lots of trees were cut down so I'm sure there are roots. Maybe as long as I don't get too close to the stump it's ok.

10hp was enough for you?

No idea what type or size of these trees but 20' away might be too close.
Hire out the initial work and then work with a SCUT.
Too many hidden treasures and roots have won that battle with bigger equipment.
You might want to do some research here and learn from what others have experienced with smaller tractors.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #14  
If it is 10hp and 900lbs its a no go for plowing. In Summary, its a garden tractor not a field tractor.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #15  
I don't get this non sense that gets spread all over US forums that compact tractors and smaller can't farm... Of they can, at a smaller scale and with properly sized implements but they sure can.

Last edited:
   / Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #16  
My grandfather started farming with mules and grew into 3,000 acre of row crop. I’m not sure of the first tractor he bought but they did a lot of farming with 3 Massey Ferguson 35’s which my dad still uses one. The largest tractor they used was a 4840 JD bought around 1979. No four wheel drives were used. Their theory was if you needed four wheel drive the ground was too wet to work.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #17  
I used to have a mf1010 and it would pull the crap out of a 4ft box blade and run 5ft finish mower quite nicely. It's crazy what good low gearing can do.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors
I don't get this non sense that gets spread all over US forums that compact tractors and smaller can't farm... Of they can, at a smaller scale and with properly sized implements but they sure can.

That is an established plot though. Mine is raw land with trees removed.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors
The Kubota B6000e is the first Kubota tractor model imported into the USA. Besides having a weight of only 900 pounds, it MAY be only 2-WD. After 50 years of use it is unlikely the B6000e is generating 10.5 horsepower; more like 7 - 8 horsepower.

I can only cut grass with it? YES - But not very long grass.

Contemporary subcompact tractors weigh 1,400 to 1,700 pounds. Subcompact tractors are fine for mowing grass and moving light loads around a smooth property in the FEL bucket. You can plow an established garden plot with a subcompact tractor, though most with a choice would prepare a garden with a PTO powered rototiller. Few employ subcompact weight tractors on more than two (2) smooth acres, three smooth acres tops.

As soon as a plow on a (light) subcompact tractor encounters any but the smallest underground root or other obstruction, including hard ground, the tractor will lose traction and stop.

When plowing dirt, tractor capability is a factor of 2-WD or 4-WD and tractor weight.

A 4-WD compact tractor with a bare tractor weight of at least 2,700 pounds will pull a single bottom turning plow through almost any moist soil, including sod which has been first mowed VERY SHORT or previously killed with Roundup/Glycophosphate. Plow will sever tree roots up to 1" if roots are not too concentrated.
I know you told me most of this in my other thread, but I'm unsure what kind of tractor you're telling me would be appropriate other than the walk behind.

/ Something I don't understand about applications of below 40hp tractors #20  

The guy on that B7000 machine doubles the weight. It bottoms out in the rut because it doesn't have the ground clearance. It is also 4WD which makes big difference. Not only that, but that's not a field he is plowing...its a garden.

The B6000 is a field, but he is only plowing 1 row at maybe 12 inch depth. If you have an acre or 2 its fine. If you have 20...the planting season will be over before you finish.

I can use a shovel to dig a lake....it just takes alot longer.