Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #81  
Agree I try to tell most people that 98% of cattle have it better than most city “pets”. If big business could figure out how to raise cattle in tiny enclosures, they would have done it already. Most cattle get to live and see places that most city pets dream about when you see them sleeping with their legs moving around. View attachment 776568
Very true.

When someone posts things that are location varying I always look at their info to see where they are? So, in your case, your pic has less meaning. Might have even "borrowed" it. :D

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living
98% of the livestock ranchers in my area treat their animals just as you do. I don't think you are exclusive in that regard. :cool:
I live in a huge Tyson chicken farming area. Get behind a Tyson 18 wheeler hauling chickens, and there is a good chance you'll never look at a chicken the same way.

I'm pretty certain 90% of the people who live in our country have no clue how animals are treated for mass food companies for public consumption.

The bigger issue is no one ever gives thanks for the meal in front of them in our country anymore IMO. Food is EXPECTED to be bought...

SIDE NOTE - Thread officially derailed. No worries on my end so no one else can complain about it 🤣

Honestly, what I like about this place...

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #83  
I live in a huge Tyson chicken farming area. Get behind a Tyson 18 wheeler hauling chickens, and there is a good chance you'll never look at a chicken the same way.

I'm pretty certain 90% of the people who live in our country have no clue how animals are treated for mass food companies for public consumption.

The bigger issue is no one ever gives thanks for the meal in front of them in our country anymore IMO. Food is EXPECTED to be bought...

SIDE NOTE - Thread officially derailed. No worries on my end so no one else can complain about it 🤣

Honestly, what I like about this place...
Yep. Big difference between large corporate livestock production and individual rancher/farmer.

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #84  
Very true.

When someone posts things that are location varying I always look at their info to see where they are? So, in your case, your pic has less meaning. Might have even "borrowed" it. :D
Advertising I am in Colorado is not what it used to be…. Especially on an ag type forum. But I do know a little about a few things.

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #85  
In the last 5 years I have had to put down 3 of my favorite horses that I had for over 30 years. The oldest was 34. I could not even begin to tell you how much time I have spent with them and what all we have done together. They had everything they needed their whole lives and even at over 70 years old I had no problem or worries riding them. Most people are not even married for over 30 years so it is easy to see how attached you become to any living thing you love and spend so much time with. I have never done anything harder in my life than having my horse put down. My eyes are watering as I write this. Years have passed, but I still lay awake at nights reliving those moments, trying to convince myself that I had no alternatives. They weren't pets. They were family.....

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #86  
In the last 5 years I have had to put down 3 of my favorite horses that I had for over 30 years. The oldest was 34. I could not even begin to tell you how much time I have spent with them and what all we have done together. They had everything they needed their whole lives and even at over 70 years old I had no problem or worries riding them. Most people are not even married for over 30 years so it is easy to see how attached you become to any living thing you love and spend so much time with. I have never done anything harder in my life than having my horse put down. My eyes are watering as I write this. Years have passed, but I still lay awake at nights reliving those moments, trying to convince myself that I had no alternatives. They weren't pets. They were family.....
11FD2BDD-F5D1-4ABE-9C8A-71F75A6569D5.jpeg

I lost these 2 2 1/2 years ago, they were together with me for 26 years. The older one on the left past and 2 days later the one on the right decided life was not the same without his brother and laid down and died. Way off topic! But I hear you.

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #87  
But I do know a little about a few things.

spoken with humility and good sense

other than freezing temps, what else do Southern folks forget?

I love watching guys walk around in shorts here at supermarket when it's 20 degrees out.

but that is equally balanced by the blue hairs in Palm Beach who bring out their fur coats when the temps hit 50.

Sig, getting derailed can be fun. Then the cranes come, get you back on track, and off you go.

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #88  
Kinda a reverse south thing, but i remember visiting my sister in February. I walked outside in shirt sleeves and people looked at me like i was nutz, that's probably true, but it felt so warm in the mid 40s. Actually was quite nice to get out of fridged weather for a bit.

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #89  
Kinda a reverse south thing, but i remember visiting my sister in February. I walked outside in shirt sleeves and people looked at me like i was nutz, that's probably true, but it felt so warm in the mid 40s. Actually was quite nice to get out of fridged weather for a bit.
We did that one year on a trip to visit the inlaws in Florida. Inlaws took us to a flea market. It was 50 deg so we wore short sleeve shirts and shorts. Everyone else there had heavy clothes and jackets and looked at us like we were nuts.