Soundguy et al PTO Gen ???

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #1  

RFB

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740HSTC3; B3000HSDCC
I have a fairly new Kubota L5030HSTC (Mar06), and I have been using it for a variety of tasks (170 hours so far), but none including PTO work.

Based upon yours (and others) posts re. PTO generators, I am looking into one for my 5030 (currently investigating the TigerPower 30k).

In reading the specs for my 5030, it shows the "rated" RPM as 2700. This raised a few questions for me.

Does "rated" mean the RPM that produces the max rated HP for the given powerplant?

Does 2700 RPM seem a little high to get 540? (The reason I ask this is because I usually putt around at about 1800 for everything, including BH digging.)

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #2  
You should be able to find the engine rpm at which the pto is turning 540 rpms. Add that to the pto rated horsepower and you should have the answer as to wether or not the tractor will support such a generator.
Wish I had a 30 Kw generator!
David from jax

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ???
Sandman,

The capability of Hp v. PTO output is understood (Roughly 2 hp per kw).

What I am trying to determine is the meaning of "Rated Speed" given as 2700 rpm for my 5030. I interpret(and possibly erroneously) that as meaning the rpm that develops maximum rated hp. Is that number (2700) what it will take to achieve 540 pto rpm under load?

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #4  
RFB said:
I
Based upon yours (and others) posts re. PTO generators, I am looking into one for my 5030 (currently investigating the TigerPower 30k).

What is the retail on one of these 30KW units?
Bob

I have not dickered on one yet, but they are listing on some sites for around 3100-3200 including the trailer (which I do not want) which sells separately for 500 - 600.

I want to do a 3 pt carry-all type of system for the gen, and TigerPower said that they are in development on a proprietary 3 point carry-all.

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #6  
RFB said:
I want to do a 3 pt carry-all type of system for the gen, and TigerPower said that they are in development on a proprietary 3 point carry-all.

Now, that would be nice!
Bob

My plan is to put steel casters on the bottom of the carry-all platform to wheel it into place, and then hook up the 3 pt.

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #8  
RFB said:
My plan is to put steel casters on the bottom of the carry-all platform to wheel it into place, and then hook up the 3 pt.

So when do they expect the new 3ph setup to be for sale?
Bob

I told them that I was 2 -4 months out on the gen purchase (new shop under construction) and they said it should be ready by then.

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #10  
For about 2k$ you can get a northern 24kw pto gen. My stepfather has one. I have the 12.5kw unit. I love mine.

You need to check the specs on your tractor.. see what the specific 'rated' listing refers to.. for instance.. is the 2700rpm # your engine speed for the pto? Sounds high.. may be more like max engine net hp rpm.. etc... then again.. you may have a higher rpm engine. My big ford diesels are at 540 pto rpm right arount 1900-2000 engine rpm.. etc... with one maxing out int he mid 2k range, and the opther maxing at 3k.. etc.

a 30kw gen is gonna want just about 60 pto hp to run at full load. That's a simplified estimate, as 2ptohp/1kw is a general rule of thumb that takes into account variables that are different in each situation.. etc.

Of course.. even if you don't have 60 pto hp.. the genny will still kick out electrical power based on the input hp.. I.e. if you can only supply 50 pto hp.. then you can expect 25kw.. and your genny is a tad overrated.. but that's not a bad thing.. having extra genny capacity means you aren't slamming it to the wall. same with the tractor. Havinge more pto hp than needed means your tractor will react better to large loads. I.E.. if you have a tractor capable of 72 pto hp, and only 60 of it is used.. then large loads kicking in, won't effect the tractor rpm ( and thus freq output ) as much..e tc.

Soundguy

RFB said:
I have not dickered on one yet, but they are listing on some sites for around 3100-3200 including the trailer (which I do not want) which sells separately for 500 - 600.