Soundguy et al PTO Gen ???

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #21  
I think he is actually refering to what I have seen as 'epto' It is where a tractor has an option for the same pto rpm, yet at a lower engine rpm, for applications that do not need full engine power.. etc. For tractors that don't swap PTO stubs ( yanmar ) .. it should be easy to do this with some math and a different pto gear selection.. etc.

Some of the larger thractors with 1000/540 pto speeds often have to have a pto stub switched out to achieve the different pto speed... My NH 7610s is like this. Some other machines have a different mechanism for this.. for instance.. a ford with a 2 speed pto and SOS tranny.. a 881 for instance.

Soundguy

Highbeam said:
Jinman, you may be referring to the 1000 rpm PTO option on some machines. My 30HP tractor can spin the PTO at 540 or 1000 depending on which direction I throw the PTO engagement lever. If I only wanted to get 540 PTO RPM while being in the 1000 PTO RPM setting then I would idle down the engine rpms to about half of that required for 1000 pt rpm. If I did not need maximum PTO HP then this would be a great option for conserving fuel and less noise generated though I am certain that the engine is happy humming along at full RPM which for my machine is a healthy 2450 rpm or so.

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #22  
For many residential applications, active VR control isn't absolutely needed. My northern pto genset is using capacitive voltage regulation.

I used my old ford 8n as a power source, and then tried various loads.. some incandescent, some electronic, and some inductive, and combinations. I had a radio and an old tv plugge din.. some lamps, drill and circular saw.. etc.

In all cases, freq and voltage held fine on my meter. in fact.. voltage varried less than from my utility power.. etc. And I'm not at the end of a line or anything.. etc.

I think you will be happy with the 30kw unit iven if you can't fully power it.. it will have 'that much' extra surge capability if you had the hp.. etc.. ( besides .. you don't have to worry about electrically stressing a 30kw gen that you can only adequately power to 25kw anyway..)

Soundguy

RFB said:
In doing some checking on pto gens, I called Winco gen and spoke to a tech rep.

He said that their 25kw has no surge capability, and that although fine for pump starting and general utility usages, their voltage regulation capability was not a good match for more sensitive applications (residential reefers, etc). He said that the Winco vr was done by means of a "saturated field" process, and if I remember correctly, 6% being the best expected.

The TigerPower I am researching has electronic voltage regulation of ±2%, which to my admittedly novice mind seems better if you are planning for whole house standby power. (The 5 year warranty is attractive as well.) I figure that minus the trailer, I should be able to pick one up for about$2500, which although a little high compared to some, it is not altogether out of the ballpark for a 30k gen.

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #23  
Most producers and distributors of "grid" power only guarantee regulation +/- 10%, therefore most household devices are designed and built to tolerate that. A +/- 6% generator is fine for homeowner applications.

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #24  
tracecom said:
Most producers and distributors of "grid" power only guarantee regulation +/- 10%, therefore most household devices are designed and built to tolerate that. A +/- 6% generator is fine for homeowner applications.

ummmm you need to qalify that a bit better.... grid producers are required to hold a VERY tight regulation on frequency. (voltage on the other hand may vary "widly" depending on grid demand/use)

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #25  
schmism said:
ummmm you need to qalify that a bit better.... grid producers are required to hold a VERY tight regulation on frequency. (voltage on the other hand may vary "widly" depending on grid demand/use)

I was speaking of voltage and should have been more specific, however I believe that RFB was speaking of voltage when he said, "that the Winco vr was done by means of a "saturated field" process, and if I remember correctly, 6% being the best expected."

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ???
tracecom,

Correct, I was referring to voltage regulation. That said, is their any reason to expect that a gen with electronic AVR of ±2% will also hold closer tolerances on frequency, or is that solely a mechanism of pto speed?

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #27  
depends on the electronics (if any) that are packaged with the unit. a good (read expensive) power conditioner can clean up a off hz frequency by as much as a few hz.

but short of that, yes mechanical rotational speed....

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #28  
Soundguy said:
I think he is actually refering to what I have seen as 'epto' It is where a tractor has an option for the same pto rpm, yet at a lower engine rpm, for applications that do not need full engine power.. etc. For tractors that don't swap PTO stubs ( yanmar ) .. it should be easy to do this with some math and a different pto gear selection.. etc.

Some of the larger thractors with 1000/540 pto speeds often have to have a pto stub switched out to achieve the different pto speed... My NH 7610s is like this. Some other machines have a different mechanism for this.. for instance.. a ford with a 2 speed pto and SOS tranny.. a 881 for instance.

Soundguy
Many 70 - 100 pto hp ag utility tractors have an "economy" pto setting where the rated speed (540 or 1000 depending upon the spline/equip you have chosen) is maintained at a lower engine rpm. Of couse you have less pto torque because you are using a "higher" gear to turn the pto. Several JD and Massey tractors offer this option. Don't recall the NH TS/TL having this though I may be wrong.

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #29  
Soundguy said:
I thought some of the NH units had the 'epto' or did I misread?

Soundguy

I should have been more clear and said that some european CUTs have e-pto as an option. I don't know of any CUTs sold here that have that option. It may be available and I just don't know about it.

/ Soundguy et al PTO Gen ??? #30  
jinman said:
I should have been more clear and said that some european CUTs have e-pto as an option. I don't know of any CUTs sold here that have that option. It may be available and I just don't know about it.

I have read about it.. just can't put my finger on a manufacturer name... but someone is making a unit for this domestic market with epto.. however.. if I remember.. it may have been a utility tractor.. not CUT.. etc.

Soundguy