Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build

/ Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build #11  
Pal steel Palmyra Wi may have what you need. Wouldn't hurt to call. 1/2x4 bevel edge, heat treated was $12/ft 3mo ago. They have acres of surplus steel also.

Pal Steel Company
414 S 3rd St Palmyra, WI 53156.
(262) 495-4453

/ Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build #12  
I'd just go ask a local snowplow contractor for some old plow blades. I always have a bunch sitting around with the intention to use on projects but they are a pain to weld and cut because of how hard they are. They'd probably almost give them away.

/ Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build #13  
I'd just go ask a local snowplow contractor for some old plow blades. I always have a bunch sitting around with the intention to use on projects but they are a pain to weld and cut because of how hard they are. They'd probably almost give them away.
Idk about that we run the plow cutting edges to end of usable life because they cost so much money now and the junk ones go in the scrap steel dumpster.

/ Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build #14  
I am planning on fabricating a 72" Land Plane and need the 2 wear bars/blades. King cutter has them for $139 ea but they want $132 to ship them ea,buy two and the shipping is $264 and so on!
They have some available through Digger supply for about $450 a set. Again AgriSupply has them for $139 but shipping for 2 is $167. You guys in the south east could pick them up at the store I guess.
I'm in Wisconsin so if anybody knows of a source near me where I could pick them up please let me know.
There is a place called Behlin Country that has them. $99 plus $29 shipping. The only thing is they are only 3/8" at the thickest point. All of the 6' Behlin Country 3 point attachments use this so it must work.Who knows how it holds up to hitting rocks and such.I would be using the Land plane for gravel drives so hopefully most large rocks will have already been dealt with.
It looks like the 1/2" version weighs 58lbs and the 3/8" version is 39lbs. so it can be shipped by UPS as opposed to needing a trucking company. I ordered 1 to see what it looks like and I will use it maybe for the rear blade or just pushing snow. I noticed when you order 2 the shipping goes up to $160! So you have to buy them 1 at a time or the shipping kills you.

View attachment 806194

I have attached a picture to show how they look side by side. Again any help thanks in advance!
Go to your local Road Comission Garage and ask them for a used plow steel. Probably give it to you. Make your bottom from that. They are abrasion resistant alloy steel and wear fantastic.

/ Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build #15  
Idk about that we run the plow cutting edges to end of usable life because they cost so much money now and the junk ones go in the scrap steel dumpster.
the end of useable life for most cutting edges still leaves you with like a 4" blade which should be just fine to build a land plane out of. Maybe most places scrap them at that point but I do lots of metal fab and at the least they make good ballast when cut up so I keep them around. Maybe I'm the only one.

/ Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build #16  
I have a couple laying beside the shop I cabbaged from the Monroe County Road Garage a couple years ago. Both are 10 footers and yes, they are heavy.

/ Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build #17  
I purchased two from Dura-Grader when I went by and picked up another members implement after Katrina hit the coast. I paid $5 a foot for what I got, cash in the middle of the night. (I picked the implement up at about 1am on my way to my Dad's).

David from jax

/ Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build #18  
I am planning on fabricating a 72" Land Plane and need the 2 wear bars/blades. King cutter has them for $139 ea but they want $132 to ship them ea,buy two and the shipping is $264 and so on!
They have some available through Digger supply for about $450 a set. Again AgriSupply has them for $139 but shipping for 2 is $167. You guys in the south east could pick them up at the store I guess.
I'm in Wisconsin so if anybody knows of a source near me where I could pick them up please let me know.
There is a place called Behlin Country that has them. $99 plus $29 shipping. The only thing is they are only 3/8" at the thickest point. All of the 6' Behlin Country 3 point attachments use this so it must work.Who knows how it holds up to hitting rocks and such.I would be using the Land plane for gravel drives so hopefully most large rocks will have already been dealt with.
It looks like the 1/2" version weighs 58lbs and the 3/8" version is 39lbs. so it can be shipped by UPS as opposed to needing a trucking company. I ordered 1 to see what it looks like and I will use it maybe for the rear blade or just pushing snow. I noticed when you order 2 the shipping goes up to $160! So you have to buy them 1 at a time or the shipping kills you.

View attachment 806194

I have attached a picture to show how they look side by side. Again any help thanks in advance!

I am in the process of building one myself and found a good deal at the local CAT dealer. The good thing was they will ship it free of charge to your nearest CAT dealer. I bought 7 footers for $75 each about 2 years ago. The current price is shown below. Good luck!
IMG_0544.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 43
   / Source for 1/2"x72" cutting blade for Land Plane Build #19  
Just in case any of you building your own pull behind land plane want to look at a few pictures of mine, there are a few posted...

David from jax

Due to Photobucket doing what they did, these may only be available to you as thumbnails pictures.