Box Scraper Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper?

/ Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper? #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
So getting ready to pull the trigger on a new box scrapper. I’m looking at the 35 series of Land Pride and Southern’s HD version. The southern is 1/2 the price of the Land Pride. Is the Land Pride that much better? Also I need 78-80” if I want to cover my tracks. I want to cover my tracks correct? I’m just trying to smooth dirt and level / smooth out roads.

This will go behind my 70hp Kubota M7060.

Thanks,

/ Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper? #2  
I have had a 96 inch Land Pride 35 series for over 2 years. Still going strong. Originally behind Ford 2120 (43 hp) Now Kubota MX5200.. I think you should go with a 6 inch

Andy

/ Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper?
A 6”?

/ Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper? #4  
I have a Kubota M6040. Rear tire - outside to outside = 80 inches. My roll over box blade is 72". It does a perfectly good job on the 3-point hitch. I have NEVER found that "wider than my rear tread width" was necessary.

Remember - you are NOT doing any form of cultivation. You are scraping up and moving dirt.

And with that - weight will always be your friend with land engagement implements.

/ Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper? #6  
I can vouch for Land Pride being very well built. As far as width generally figure one size under what implements you normally use. A box blade full of dirt very quickly will load you down.

/ Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper? #7  
So true Wolfy. If I'm not mindfull I can load my ROBB up to the point where all four wheels are digging. The next size bigger - 84" or 96" ?? - would simply load up easier/quicker and generally mean I'd need to watch more carefully.

Remember - you have the weight of the implement - the weight of the dirt in the implement - the resistance to pulling the implement thru the soil. All three will add up VERY quickly.

/ Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper? #8  
You also need to take into account the configuration of the driveway cross section. Unfortunately my drive has been cut below the adjacent edges. Hence the drive is below the dirt next to it. Yes I know that is bad for drainage, but it is what I have. And at 3/8th of a mile, I could not afford the fill to bring it up. So if my blades were not wider than the tires, I could not grade the full width of the drive. Jon

/ Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper? #9  
Weight is important for cutting and using the rippers in more conditions that may not otherwise be optimal for digging. If you have to compare two units that seem similar, I'd say go with the one that weighs more as a crude guide or you may find your ripper shanks skating across your driveway and not digging in. Make sure it is at least as wide as HALF of your driveway so you can keep a crown if you need to. Your tractor should have plenty of pulling power.

Other useful things are ease of adjustment on the rippers. Anything where you can pull a pin or otherwise be tool-less is preferred. Also think about wear plates. My Landpride is worn down considerably on the right-front side from gravel driveway maintenance (1/2 mile) in 6 years.

/ Southern Brand vs Land Pride vs Other box scrapper? #10  
I have a 7' wide heavy duty Lowery Manufacturing behind my MX 5200 and I wouldn't have one that didn't cover my rear tracks.

I've seen the Land Pride ripper bar rip open from being too small and weak of steel. Let me see if I can find the pic.