Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed
Sodo, you probably should go to a heavier ply or better quality tire if you’ve been having problems.

They're load range D, 2450 lbs.
The stuff I move can't load them any heavier.

Dump trailer tire was "General" brand, made in USA, 2540lb rated, and I was probably loading it to 2250lb with 3 yds of dirt: 9,000 lbs.
But I've never driven it (with load) faster than 25mph.
I've scrubbed them fully loaded (9000 lbs) on gravel many times 'cuzza where I load.
And sometimes when dumping of course.
The manufacture date is 1998, they could be "original" cuz the trailer is a 1999.

Pat I think scrubbing empty trailer tires is zero concern - other than picking up a nail etc.
Putting the trailer where you want it (and avoiding :mad:the Rhododendrons:mad:) with minimal effort is far higher on the list.
The tractor is a good way to move empty trailers around, but it can be efficient to put it away before unhooking from the truck.

Car trailer (yesterday's failure) has unknown tire history.
Tires are Carlisle, load range D, 2450 lb, from 2003, made in China.
The guy I bought it from said it had "new tires" when I bought it in 2013.
I suppose that meant "he bought them new in 2003".
They did have full treads, real good condition.
So they were in-use (lightly) for 10 years, but no idea if inflation/loading was monitored properly.
That guy used the trailer for many years with no spare at all.

I don't load it anywhere near the tire maximum, but there was a time that I had driven it loaded, and the tires were under-inflated.
That __was__ under my watch, and could have overheated some of them.

I'm not sure I need to increase my tire capacities, the numbers don't suggest it.
They seem to be lasting OK, just getting old.

A couple failures makes a guy pay more attention to "proper inflation" though.

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #32  
Yes your specs seem okay. The tires are getting old just like the rest of us.

Nobody likes inflation, but when it comes to tires it’s best to pay attention.

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #33  
It's up to you and I normally am not the safety police but I would think, assuming you didn't, of adding a safety bar than can be flipped up. I've only had one cylinder collapse on me (due to a hose that burst) but it dropped like a stone. I wasn't in any danger but it has given me a healthy respect for the forces. It looks like to get that spare out you are going to be under the bed when raised far enough where you might not get away from it.

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed
of adding a safety bar than can be flipped up.

Yup it has one.
I would guess...... that all hydraulic dump trailers include a safety bar (if commercially produced).

/ Spare tire on underside of DUMP trailer bed #35  
To be clear I move the trailer with front axle off the ground loaded as well as unloaded. Rarely have more than 4000 lbs in it though.