Speed increaser from chain

/ Speed increaser from chain #1  

Bbc396

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ls xr3135
When I owned a puma blower I noticed thay had a speed increaser from 540 to 756 rpm. I always wondered if it could be done with chain and sprocket. I have a friend who picked up the same blower and like me he is less then impressed with the performance and is interested I trying to increase the speed with sprockets and chain. Anyone speed up a blower like this before?

/ Speed increaser from chain #2  
Simple answer is yes you perform speed increase if you have room.

Something to consider would be side load of the chain vs direct drive.

What angle will the PTO shaft be at?

Companies also make speed increaser gear boxes.

/ Speed increaser from chain #3  
Do you have 540E on your tractor? Or just the regular 540?

With 540E, you could run it at the regular 540 engine RPM, which would give you around 750 RPM on the PTO shaft.

/ Speed increaser from chain
No 540e on his tractor. We went ahead and did it yeasterday. Mounted it off to one side about 6" I'm a little concerned about the angle of the shaft. He was concerned to until he blew some snow with it, I works much much better. He said it he has to replace the shaft once a year it would be worth it to him. Wish I could upload pictures.

/ Speed increaser from chain #5  
I'm guessing that when a manufacturer runs a blower fan at let's say 1000 rpm, they gear down the augers to normal speed.

I was once at a farm show and snowblower vendor had most impressive video of their blower in action. I couldn't figure out why it was so special. Then realized they were running it at 1000 rpm. Well, no wonder! Few things more impressive than a snowblower that can throw snow forever.

/ Speed increaser from chain #6  
My CUT has 3 PTO speeds.
The blower is pathetic* at 540 rpm so I run it at the 750 rpm and have done so for about 8 years now.
Once tried the 1000 rpm but it wanted to shake itself apart.

* the fan is somewhat small plus it is 3 bladed. (often contemplated re building into 4 blade)

One modification that has really improved my snow blowing was to line the chute with a HD plastic DIY liner, no more clogging!