Speed Reduction for Old Drill Press

/ Speed Reduction for Old Drill Press #11  
Looks like over the years, many guys had similar idea's, it's pretty common,

standard.jpg

Your's looks like a pretty clean conversion, to slow that spindle down,

SR

/ Speed Reduction for Old Drill Press #12  
I have an old Craftsman drill press about the same vintage. Someone added an intermediate pulley. The pulley goes on an arbor that is mounted off center on a plug that just drops into the upright tube. Very slick. Spindle speeds down to 290 rpm and much higher that I never use.

Attachments

• DrillPressPulley2.jpg
    DrillPressPulley2.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 88
   / Speed Reduction for Old Drill Press
I have an old Craftsman drill press about the same vintage. Someone added an intermediate pulley. The pulley goes on an arbor that is mounted off center on a plug that just drops into the upright tube. Very slick. Spindle speeds down to 290 rpm and much higher that I never use.

Like SR said mine is pretty routine but that little gem is really really clever. All you need is one small pulley for the motor and two new belts. And if that plug is free to swivel in the tube both belts tighten at the same time with the adjustment that is already there. Too simple.

gg

/ Speed Reduction for Old Drill Press #14  
Have y'all considered a VFD instead of adding pulleys?
David from jax

/ Speed Reduction for Old Drill Press #15  
I love the design of that old Craftsman drill press. It's a nice balance of form and function, compared to the newer tools that are stamped squared shapes with hard edges everywhere.

/ Speed Reduction for Old Drill Press #16  
When the electronics crapped the bed on my Grizzly mill, I installed a three phase motor with a VFD. Works great, even power tapping with the instant reverse. Though I'm not sure about reliability if one was to load it down at low speed for any length of time with a large drill bit. Have done the occasional one inch hole without ill effects.