Spider Invasion

/ Spider Invasion #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
Anybody got a LONG LASTING solution to rid of spiders?

We have always had them but this year I can't turn around without seeing one. All shapes and sizes! They have really been an aggravation inhabiting my wifi security cameras. They like to crawl back and forth over the lens and trigger non stop recordings. I use these to record wildlife and it's hard to get to the real activity when you have 24 hours of a spider webbing over the dang thing.

Spectracide Bug Stop seems to keep them at bay for about a week. They laugh at those "Natural Repellent Recipes". I have tried most of those and if they work at all it's only for a day or two.

Here is one that got in one of my cameras and had a family. Brake cleaner stopped it dead but her spouse got away from me. I imaging many of the tiny babies got away as well because they scattered when I found them.

red-spider.jpg

/ Spider Invasion #2  
IMG_4758.JPG

I use both of these together and get 4-6 months. The ortho is good for most things but I added the other when I had a hard time with flees.

Read the directions. The ortho has a much higher strength for around the foundation. I spray inside and out.

About $25 will last me several years- I do my house and shop.

/ Spider Invasion #3  
Diazinon granules - my "uninvited guests" are piss ants. About 20 years ago - large nest in attic - shop vac and they were gone. Completely filled my 7.5 gallon shop vac with nest and ants.

Anyhow - every spring I lay down a foot wide "path" of diazinon granules all the way around the foundation of the house. It takes two - two pound coffee cans full to make it all the way around. So when done you have to look very closely to see any of the granules.

I don't have any big, mean, red spiders like you - JDguy - just regular little house spiders. The path of granules keeps everything except the flying ones out of the house.

/ Spider Invasion #4  
One word for you.

"Tempo"

Not sure where you can locate it in Florida but it works!!

/ Spider Invasion #5  
I use Home Defense for in and around the house. Indoors lasts about 6 months, outside I spray it a couple times a summer.

I have used the bug be gone the last two years. Mainly for mosquito control. I am growing dissatisfied with it as it just doesn't seem to work all that long. Especially with ants. Others swear by it though and apparently works well for them.

/ Spider Invasion #6  
Granules on the ground will get ground spiders but not web-builders. During the day, they usually retreat to a hidden spot near the web (under a piece of bark, or under a leaf). Then as dusk comes they come out, destroy last night's web and build a new one. Best way to get web-builders is to wait 'til night and spray directly with pyrethrin spray. Kills on contact and basically nontoxic. You can spray more broadly in the area during the day but might miss them. And pyrethrins will also kill other insects on contact.

Web-builders are attracted to light; they will seek to build their webs near lights because lights attract moths and other insects. So you might rethink any lights you keep on at night around your property.

Now is peak season for these creepy crawlers. The large males "wander in search of mates." Ugh. So even if you don't see many other times of the year, you may now. :eek: