Split ramps for equipment trailers

/ Split ramps for equipment trailers #11  
My Diamond C has wide ramps but not Mega ramps. They are also adjustable and the width helps loading smaller stuff like mowers but I just use a smaller trailer for mowers.

/ Split ramps for equipment trailers #12  
Why are split ramps so rare and seldom seen on flat deck equipment trailers?
They seem so useful and when spring assisted, very easy to flip up.
They make a trailer instantly capable of loading any wheel configuration or size or rubber tracked machinery. The reinforced wire mesh is smoother for large tractors or small diameter tires on zero turns.
When in the upright position, they do a great job holding hay bales or equipment from accidentally rolling off.
So why do equipment trailers continue to come with those awful slide-in ramps or the skinny, kind of dangerous stand up ramps? I have been loading & unloading equipment for 35 years and still think they are undersized. One slip and there’s an accident.
Is it cost? I guess everything is made cheaply as possible to stay competitive, but with all the safety features built into equipment, these seem like a no-brainer safety item.

View attachment 696019
View attachment 696020
Why are split ramps so rare and seldom seen on flat deck equipment trailers?
They seem so useful and when spring assisted, very easy to flip up.
They make a trailer instantly capable of loading any wheel configuration or size or rubber tracked machinery. The reinforced wire mesh is smoother for large tractors or small diameter tires on zero turns.
When in the upright position, they do a great job holding hay bales or equipment from accidentally rolling off.
So why do equipment trailers continue to come with those awful slide-in ramps or the skinny, kind of dangerous stand up ramps? I have been loading & unloading equipment for 35 years and still think they are undersized. One slip and there’s an accident.
Is it cost? I guess everything is made cheaply as possible to stay competitive, but with all the safety features built into equipment, these seem like a no-brainer safety item.

View attachment 696019
View attachment 696020
My 20' equipment trailer has split ramps, but they are not full width.
They have no mesh, and the angle iron has the top of the angle facing up (does not hold dirt or water).
They each have hefty springs, and even this 80 year old can still lift them.
They can be slid together, or apart, on a pipe tube, to accommodate any machine wheel spacing.
They can be slid way apart, or even removed, to accommodate any particularly long cargo.

I suspect my ramps were the cheapest design for the manufacturer to build, on a $4,400 OTD 14K trailer.
Certainly cheaper than also using mesh on top of the angle material.
I am satisfied with the design of my ramps, though they would not be good with a small wheel diameter machine, like a lawn tractor.
Most people (me included) do not normally carry a lawn tractor on a 14K equipment trailer, though it certainly can be done.

Last edited:
   / Split ramps for equipment trailers #13  
I have a 20' trailer with the full width split ramp, with the wire mesh. I have a mower and a couple of 3 wheeled pieces of equipment. I also have a Kubota L6060 and a L5740. I can easily load any of these with the ramps I have.

My 28' gooseneck has 2 ramps that I can slide to accommodate different width equipment. It is very difficult to load my 3 wheel equipment on this trailer. I have to add a portable atv ramp in the middle of the 2 trailer ramps, and it's not a very safe way to load.

Also, with the 2 ramps, when I load my tractor with the laser grading blade attached, I can get about 1 to 2" of the blade wheels on the ramp because they are a lot wider than my tractor wheels.

I did not consider cost when ordering the 20' trailer with the split ramps, because it was really my only option.

I have had problems tearing the expanded metal off when loading heavy equipment such as my skid steer. When backing off, the ramps will raise up and the expanded metal gets caught and torn on the skid steer. This happens when the trailer is not level with the ground.

/ Split ramps for equipment trailers
Have outgrown my small trailer. It was fine for one zero turn, but we are running 2 now. My big trailer is way too long and heavy for that. Would like a “tweener” size trailer.
A 16k is heavy enough for a skid steer and plenty big for 2 big zero turns and perfect for smaller hay deliveries. I also may pull it behind the flatbed hay truck to increase capability.
Once I saw these reinforced mesh ramps, it made me think that you could get more use out of it for mowers, along with a skiddy rental, mini ex rental or hay. I can also transport the older guys trike tractors and other stuff for extra money. I like being able to walk up/down ramps to get wheelbarrows, tools, drive up to get other attachments.

Thought those ramps with ease of double spring assist would be perfect for all of the above and wondered why they weren’t more popular.....best of both worlds.

/ Split ramps for equipment trailers #15  
Have outgrown my small trailer. It was fine for one zero turn, but we are running 2 now. My big trailer is way too long and heavy for that. Would like a “tweener” size trailer.
A 16k is heavy enough for a skid steer and plenty big for 2 big zero turns and perfect for smaller hay deliveries. I also may pull it behind the flatbed hay truck to increase capability.
Once I saw these reinforced mesh ramps, it made me think that you could get more use out of it for mowers, along with a skiddy rental, mini ex rental or hay. I can also transport the older guys trike tractors and other stuff for extra money. I like being able to walk up/down ramps to get wheelbarrows, tools, drive up to get other attachments.

Thought those ramps with ease of double spring assist would be perfect for all of the above and wondered why they weren’t more popular.....best of both worlds.
I agree. My 20' with the split ramps is my most used trailer. I have it loaded now with the L6060 for a job tomorrow morning that is 150 miles away. It is a 14,000 lb trailer.

I also have a 16' with a tailgate that is mostly used for hauling landscape debris and mulch by my landscape crew.

And I have the 28' that is used for longer loads and when we need to haul 2 tractors using both trailers to a job. It is also a 14,000 lb trailer.

/ Split ramps for equipment trailers #16  
My 22' deckover GN with flip up ramps that can be hydraulic powered :) .
Click to see how: Compact telehandler
P1260001.JPG

/ Split ramps for equipment trailers #18  
Yep, but with old age loss of muscle strength, I can't lift them any more.

/ Split ramps for equipment trailers #19  
Sadly for them, the young bucks will eventually come to understand.

Oh, apologize my friend. I thought they were spring loaded
Carry on!
BTW: you are a terrific contributor to TBN (y)

Last edited: