Splitter Valve Question

/ Splitter Valve Question #1  

Firefighter Kubota

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510
Log Splitter Valve Question

I have a 3 pt splitter, The Powerhorse (from Northern tool)..It splits both directions...The valve handle is a spring center (i believe) I have to hold the the handle thru the complete stroke both directions...

This doesn't allow me to grab the next log while splitting.

I want a valve that runs the stroke both directions and releases at the end of stroke due to pressure.

A 2 way detent is what I'm looking for , correct?
Prince Two-Way Detent Valve, Model# LS-3010-2 | Hydraulic Valves | Northern Tool + Equipment

Thanks..

Last edited:
   / Splitter Valve Question #2  
Re: Log Splitter Valve Question

No, you are looking for the Prince auto log splitter valve.

Surplus Center - 1 SPOOL PRINCE AUTO CYCLE LOG SPLITTER VALVE W/PB

Actually the valve you posted will detent and split one way, and stay extended and return lever to neutral, waiting for the next log, and then you have to pull the lever the other way for the return split, and when finished lever will return to neutral, and rod will be fully retracted.

The valve you posted is much cheaper, and requires one more action over the auto valve.

Autovalve.

After setting the two levers for the auto valve, the wedge will extend split and retract split, and the lever will return to neutral.

If you are slow, you will have to play catch up or reduce the GPM's to match up with your ability.

Last edited:
   / Splitter Valve Question
Thanks, JJ, but...my splitter is connected to what would be a BH loop, so the sp[litter has its own stand alone vavle mounted to it and that is the vavle I'm looking to swap out...

So I I need a single handle valve that does the same thing. I don't think the one you sugested would be the appropriate valve....

Thanks

/ Splitter Valve Question #4  
If you want a complete cycle and one setting, that is the log splitter valve to get. It will replace the valve on your log splitter. Once both levers are set, the cycle begins, the log splitter action becomes automatic for a complete cycle.

The valve you posted, will allow the cyl to extend and then stop. You then have to hit the lever again for retract.

With the normal log splitter valve, you hold the lever until the log is split, and the then you set the valve to retract, hands free.

Did you read the full description of what the valve does?

/ Splitter Valve Question #5  
Since your splitter splits in both directions, I would say the two way pressure release detent valve you selected is probably a better choice than the valve JJ recommended as that auto cycle valve would require you to load a log while the ram was moving on the return stroke.

One thing to keep in mind with the two way detented valve (or the auto valve) is that the detent will release below your maximum splitter force. The valve's detent relief will need to be set below your tractors relief and the internal relief in the valve. The detent could release on a difficult to split log. You would have to manually hold the valve open to get full power.

/ Splitter Valve Question #6  
The relief on the auto valve can be set up to 3000 psi.

It would be logical to set all the relief valves the same.

One of the purposes of the auto valve is to let one get ready for the next split. You can drop a log as it clears the distance for the length of the log.

I don't see a down side to the auto valve other than cost, and the one I posted also has PB for downstream operation.

/ Splitter Valve Question #7  
It would be logical to set all the relief valves the same.

The detent release pressure would have to be lower than the main relief for it to operate reliably, but maybe only 100 psi.

You can drop a log as it clears the distance for the length of the log.

Yes that would be faster if you do not mind ticking off the safety police. :laughing:

/ Splitter Valve Question #8  
That should be 50 to 100 psi below the pump pressure, but no higher than the first valve relief.

Yeah I don't need a pb on this valve. Currently I have to hold the valve until the stroke is complete then reach down and grab the next log for the return stoke.

I want to place a log on the splitter and while its splitting be able to grab the next piece. But want the ram to stop at end of each stroke. and be able to do this in both directions.

I have no problem if I need to hold the valve to power thru a hard log. Ill bump the relief just under the tractor setting.

So sounds like I want the original valve I selected.

Thanks for the suggestions

Last edited: