Splitting a 1530

/ Splitting a 1530 #1  

deranged

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 102, L3600 Kabota; 1530 John Deere
The 1530s synchro and clutch seem to have given up the ghost this weekend. I tried unsuccessfully to adjust the clutch play but it didn't have any effect. She starts fine but is stuck in gear.

Has anyone ever done a 1530 before. If so would you have any advice or tips for some who might try it. I've done a little bolens iseke 2 cyl diesel a few years back but the 1530 is twice that things size.

Thank in advance

/ Splitting a 1530 #2  
If your tractor is stuck in gear I doubt the clutch is the reason. JD utility tractors have a history of the tab gearshift lever seats into that is spot welded on shift rail cracking & breaking off the rail. FYI 1530's have no synchro's in the trans.

Attachments

• RXP021344______UN11OCT95.gif
    RXP021344______UN11OCT95.gif
    31 KB · Views: 237
   / Splitting a 1530
Jim,

Not that I'm doubting you as I am stupidly new at this, but if I turn the tractor off I can still shift into a different gear. It is as if the clutch will not disengage the transmission.

If I was to look for a cracked rail, which number would it be on your diagram. Or just a name I have the parts pulled up on jdparts.

And again, thanks for taking the time to reply even if I'm wrong you have been helpful and given me alternatives so far.

/ Splitting a 1530 #4  
She starts fine but is stuck in gear.

Stuck in gear as you previously stated and clutch disc not releasing are 2 totally different symptoms. I'd now suggest for you to look into front inspection hole on clutch housing to see if a pressure plate bolt has broken or if throw out brg has worn the end off 1 or more PP fingers.

/ Splitting a 1530 #5  
As Tx Jim stated, you could have a broken clutch bolt or a bad throw out bearing that has worn through the fingers. Did this suddenly happen while running the tractor? Or is this a problem that started as soon as you started the tractor? If problem was there as soon as you started it, you may just have a disc rusted to the flywheel. If you are able to get the tractor in gear, move it to an open area and then run engine at half throttle or more and then push in on the clutch and hold it there while you jab the brakes hard off and on several times sand see if it breaks loose. Sometimes it seems to help to alternately jab left and right brakes individually several times. If it won't break free, splitting the tractor will be required.

/ Splitting a 1530 #6  
If it comes down to splitting, block both sides of the front axle where it pivots. Use wood blocks and wedges. You do this to prevent the the front half from tilting after the tractor is split.