Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question
Oosik.....if you grab your front axle shafts does yours have a fair bit of play where the output shaft comes out of the front diff?
Mine seems to have quite a bit, but I can't remember what was normal. All my Polaris's even when new had "some" play.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #12  
Paystar - I'll check it tomorrow and get back to you here.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #13  
and have constant check engine lights and fault codes.

Yeah! My 2001 Sportsman 500 just ran, for 20 years from new, it just ran. I changed and topped up fluids and fliters as required, and cleaned the spark plug from time to time, and it ran. I bought the 2007 700 Ranger a few years ago, and though I like the machine, I dislike the engine fuel system. Too electric dependent, and not adjustable as needed. Some fault codes, but not enough to actually diagnose a problem - which shouldn't be there anyway. (Good diagnostic codes came with 2009 and later models). The engine wiring harness is too short, so wires break, and fault checking that is a lot of work. I did some, got it running, but not well, took it to the dealer, and for $700, they got it running better, but still not as well as the Sportsman. My wife phoned me to tell me it was showing a check engine light. I have told her, and my daughters, if it runs, drive it, I don't care about check engine light and codes, unless it won't run, then I'll deal with it. I wish I could convert it to carburetted - or electric! When I go to replace my Sportsman, I will certainly look for an older carburetted Polaris, not a newer EFI.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #14  
Well, I have a 2014 Sportsman 570 Touring (2-up). I've never had a problem of any sort with it. Probably has around 1500 miles or so. All mountain back roads and only swamped it once. Paystar must have gotten a lemon as there are at least 6 570 Sportsmans at our camp and the only ones that have had a problem are the ones that get mercilessly hammered.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #15  
I get it, Polaris wheel bearings seem to suck. There is an aftermarket tool to grease them, which seem to make them last forever if done regularly.

I had a 2003 sportsman 500 and it was a good machine. They made them good back them, but time marches on.

I have a 2019 Ranger and a 2020 razer turbo. I have already greased the wheel bearings and other than that, they have been fine. The power of the turbo motor is crazy. You need a lot of dirt road to open it up, luckily I can open it up down in the meadows.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #16  
Well, I have a 2014 Sportsman 570 Touring (2-up). I've never had a problem of any sort with it. Probably has around 1500 miles or so. All mountain back roads and only swamped it once. Paystar must have gotten a lemon as there are at least 6 570 Sportsmans at our camp and the only ones that have had a problem are the ones that get mercilessly hammered.

Same here. Had a Sportsman 570 and a Ranger 570. Not one single issue with either of them. They ran hard, made good power, and were decent on fuel usage. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if they offered something other than CVT. This year I decided on a Honda because I don't like CVTs.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #17  
Paystar - so I went out and checked the "play" in my front axle shafts. I put the unit in Low range - forward. Jacked up the right wheel. Hand at 12 'O clock on top of the wheel. Rolled wheel forward until axle locked up with front differential - hand at 11 AM position. Rolled wheel backward until axle locked up with front differential - hand at 1 PM position.

I don't know if this is a lot or normal. But this I do know - it is what it is.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #18  
I don't have a "fear" of new machines, except new Polaris's that lose wheel bearings and springs at 1500 miles, and have constant check engine lights and fault codes. At least my 570 and my friends 2021 RZR 900 and 1000's I have experience with.
I have 8830 miles on my 2016 RZR 900s.
I've replaced 2 wheel bearings, 2 are still the originals, never had a check engine light or fault code.
Never had an issue on a ride (except once when I put a railroad spike through a tire) I had to limp home a couple miles on a flat.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question
Thanks oosik. What I meant is with mine you can grab the driveshafts and pull them up and down and side to side a good bit. It's like if the U-joint were shot, but they are not the play is the actual output shafts that come out of front diff and the transmission. But like I said, they haven't taken out the oil seals.

And to the others, my 570 most certainly is a lemon. It came with a bad water pump housing and the clutches out of alignment (which dealer should have caught in their $90 PDI) Dealer charged me over $50 to fix under warranty ONE WEEK OLD. Said it was a deductible and Polaris Corporate said "sorry about your luck."
Then the Lock and Ride windshield cracked around every mounting bracket location on first trail ride at 30 MPH and under. Polaris Corporate said no warranty, sorry about your luck.
1500 miles, all four wheel bearings are gone, and so are the suspension springs. It's on hardest setting and can't hold a 150 pound rider.
All kinds of noises from engine and clutch and it smells like burning oil and still losing coolant. Oil changes every 50 hours. And I can't keep tail light bulbs in it. It actually melts the sockets right off.

My friend bought a new RZR 900 and had all the constant check engine and fault codes and intermittent EPS failures. Traded it in on a new 1000. Same thing.

So you can see why I am turned off of new Polaris's. Sure, maybe they aren't all bad......but I ain't gambling my money on them.