Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #1  

Paystar

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
So I have two Sportsman's left. One is a 570 that I have HATED from day one. The other is my 04-1/2 500 H.O. which I loved and has been absolutely bulletproof. I recently took it on a week long 500 mile ride and it was the only machine out of all of us (brand new ones included) that did not have a problem, other that my carb needle seat is wore and it was horrible on gas now.
I have since bought an RTV-X1100C because the 570 has made me hate Polaris and atv's so bad now. BUT I'd still like to have one fast machine for trail riding on these long tours with friends.

Even though the 500 has been problem free.....it is getting wore out. So wondering if fixing it is throwing money away or if I should just replace both Polaris. The big problem with it is I just now had to put a new driveshaft on it, and new front U-joints. But where the rear driveshaft yoke goes on the shaft that comes out of trans, AND the shafts that come out of front diff....they have a lot of play/slop in them. No seal leaks, but lots of movement. Should I be concerned? And how much work to open everything up and re-bearing? Is it worth it?
Other than the play in the driveline and needing the carb rebuilt, the thing is still in really good shape.

This is it, just washed after the 500 mile ride.

Attachments

• 101_5569.JPG
    101_5569.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 87
   / Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #2  
Get away from Polaris if you want longevity/dependability. Get yourself a Yamaha Kodiak or Grizzly if you want belt drive, or a Honda if you want gear/automatic transmission drive.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question
Get away from Polaris if you want longevity/dependability. Get yourself a Yamaha Kodiak or Grizzly if you want belt drive, or a Honda if you want gear/automatic transmission drive.
I did. I bought a Kubota RTV and couldn't be happier.

The 570 is going to sit here until it rots into the ground because I can't seem to give it away.

And now back to the original question....is the old one that has been 100% reliable worth refreshing for what I listed needs to be done?
Unlike a new one it has no drive-by-wire or electronics.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #4  
I'd be tempted to see how much the work is going to cost you before making that decision. If you deem it easily affordable it would be an easy question for me to answer.

Alternately, keeping your eyes open for a simple, older (2000's) Japanese ATV that has lived an easy life would be your other, lower tech option. I had an '07 Suzuki Vinson for 13 years and it needed one new battery and 4 new tires in that span. I wish I had kept it.

Maybe I'm just too worried about the play in the driveline? Maybe I should just drive it until it fails. Like I said, there are no seal leaks.
The thing has been awesome. Been running it 17 years, plowed for 8, and never changed a belt. Only clean the clutches every couple years.
Only things I have ever done to it is tires and batteries and a couple CV boots because I let ice build up in the hubs when plowing. And in just the last two seasons I had the needle valve wear right through and fall off, had to replace the rad and fan because fan failed and went through rad, and U-joints and rear wheel bearings.

My 570 hasn't even made it 1500 miles and it needs all 4 wheel bearings, all four springs and the exhaust smells like burning oil. Not to mention the other "screw jobs" I got from both my Polaris dealer and Polaris Corporate fighting over it and warranty when it was one week old.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #6  
I have a 2002 Polaris HO 500 ATP( all terrain pickup). It simply will not die. I change oil/filter every other year. It's never been taken off my 80 acres. Absolutely nothing else has been changed or replaced. Still has the OEM air filter.

It's my "go to" vehicle when taking the generator and corded tools out on the property to work.

I purchased a brand new Can-Am 650 Outlander this year. We will just have to see how this new unit works out.
IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0182.jpeg

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #7  
Personally I'd just keep running the reliable one till it falls apart. You know it, it has served you well. Replace what needs replaced when if it breaks and rock on.
The unreliable one would be good trading fodder. You might see an implement or tool or something you want that someone might just take your atv in trade.

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #8  
I recently lost my 500 6x6 Sportsman in a fire. I'd had it since new in 2001. It was the most reliable, dependable, worthwhile machine I have owned! I was so sad to lose it. I also have a 2007 6x6 Ranger. Decent machine, but I do not like the 700EFI engine - always runs, never well. If I owned a carburetted 500 Sportsman, I'd be investing in it to keep it going forever!

/ Sporstman 500 H.O. Polaris Question #9  
And in just the last two seasons I had the needle valve wear right through and fall off, had to replace the rad and fan because fan failed and went through rad, and U-joints and rear wheel bearings.
First you tell us this thing has been absolutely bulletproof...and then you tell us it has had all these problems. You have a 17 year old machine! Things wear out - and you take this machine on week-long, 500 mile trail rides?

I think your last posting answers your own question. If you really, really like this machine, then go through it end to end, replace everything and make it like new again, whatever it costs. Personally, I think your fear of the new machines is unfounded. I live in a remote area - if I leave my driveway and drive south it is 135 miles till I get to the nearest pavement. My buddies and I go ride the mountain trails all the time; my 2004 Kodiak with 9,000 miles on it is the oldest of the machines, the others are pretty much new. Not one of us has had a problem that disabled the machine and stranded the rider. Also - none of us would own a carbureted machine. Mountain trails where we live go up above 11,000 feet elevation and carburetors don't work worth a darn up there.

Cooling the tires on a July ride through the Sonoma mountains:
P1030760ertbn.jpg

Deserteagle71, maybe I have not explained it clear.....it has been bulletproof, but has finally now started to show it's age. I'm wondering if it's worth spending the money on and if I should be concerned about the movement in the yokes and output shafts or just keep driving it until it leaves me stranded somewhere.

I don't have a "fear" of new machines, except new Polaris's that lose wheel bearings and springs at 1500 miles, and have constant check engine lights and fault codes. At least my 570 and my friends 2021 RZR 900 and 1000's I have experience with.
What I do have is common sense that I am not into paying what they are now asking for these new toys. That's why when it came time to open my wallet I came home with tank, an RTV1100.