Spray Bedliner for Operator Platform

/ Spray Bedliner for Operator Platform #1  

lincmercguy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105, JD 5055E
I'm going to have to clean up and repaint these platform panels on my 5105 project. As you can see, there was a lot of wear from where my feet are and some overspray from the previous owner trying to pretty it up. I was actually thinking about painting them with spray on bedliner instead. It wouldn't be slick and should last longer. What do you guys think?

20220903_221431.jpg

Last edited:
   / Spray Bedliner for Operator Platform #2  
I used brush on bed liner from Walmart. Some prefer the kind sold at Lowes. You may want to clean your platform with a paint scuffer on your drill, then clean the platform well before applying the bed liner. If you see any gloss left on the paint, go over it again to get rid of the gloss so the bedliner doesn't peel later. It may take two coats.

/ Spray Bedliner for Operator Platform #3  
I did the roll on about 18 months ago and it’s holding up well. I got tired of buying new mats every couple of years.

/ Spray Bedliner for Operator Platform #4  
I went with Rustoleum's bed liner on my 4 post lift, it's holding up well. I rolled on 3 coats.

/ Spray Bedliner for Operator Platform
I used brush on bed liner from Walmart. Some prefer the kind sold at Lowes. You may want to clean your platform with a paint scuffer on your drill, then clean the platform well before applying the bed liner. If you see any gloss left on the paint, go over it again to get rid of the gloss so the bedliner doesn't peel later. It may take two coats.
I'll probably sandblast both platform pieces. Fortunately, they will fit into the blasting cabinet.

/ Spray Bedliner for Operator Platform #6  
There did look to be some corrosion in your pictures. I don't know if the instructions for the bedliner material recommend a specific primer.

There did look to be some corrosion in your pictures. I don't know if the instructions for the bedliner material recommend a specific primer.
Just a bit on the surface from hosing off the fire extinguisher agent. The areas where the paint was worn through are from boots on it. It's what I'm trying to prevent.

/ Spray Bedliner for Operator Platform #8  
I pulled my platform off and took it to my local Rhino Lining applicator. It has held up very well.

/ Spray Bedliner for Operator Platform #9  
I'm going to have to clean up and repaint these platform panels on my 5105 project. As you can see, there was a lot of wear from where my feet are and some overspray from the previous owner trying to pretty it up. I was actually thinking about painting them with spray on bedliner instead. It wouldn't be slick and should last longer. What do you guys think?

View attachment 760911
I think you have a good idea, just remember as with all paint type projects, proper preparation is key to a satisfactory outcome, it's been my experience that the cheaper bedliner kits will fade and get chalky residue all over any hands and clothing that it touch'es I would probably spend a few more nickle's for the better product even though it will mostly only be your feet that are on it. Good luck.

I think you have a good idea, just remember as with all paint type projects, proper preparation is key to a satisfactory outcome, it's been my experience that the cheaper bedliner kits will fade and get chalky residue all over any hands and clothing that it touch'es I would probably spend a few more nickle's for the better product even though it will mostly only be your feet that are on it. Good luck.
Any particular brands to look for or avoid? Since it's a small project, a good brand doesn't drive up the cost that much.