Spyware experts?

/ Spyware experts? #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
My laptop has been infected with a bug that I have been told is the spyware, virtumondo. It causes unwanted ads [webpages] to appear over windows that I have requested. This usually happens just as I enter a URL or click on a favorite. I slows me down quite a bit. Do any of you have any experience with this gremlin?

Thanks,

Jack

/ Spyware experts? #6  
I use the same two tools that Hakim uses but I don't think they will be effective against virtumondo.
Here are instructions from Symantec to get rid of it.

/ Spyware experts? #7  
I was having similar problems with my laptop. I tend to loan it to a number of people who do not always practice safe web surfing etc. My solution was to dump XP and install Simply Mepis which is a nice version of desktop linux. Really easy to set up and use even on a laptop. This might work well for you. Linux is totally immune to XP viruses and spyware and very secure. Do not worry about your special XP software as you can run your version XP right inside of a Virtualbox. It is really nice never having to worry about those viruses anymore.

/ Spyware experts?
Thanks all - - I've got plenty of things to try. Knew you'd come through.

Jack

/ Spyware experts? #9  
When did it start acting up?

The first thing I would do, if it is XP, would be to run a system restore to a day or two before the problems started. Then install some anti spyware software and run it to make sure it is not in some of your data files.

/ Spyware experts? #10  
Maybe I should ask if most folks even know about system restore in XP. Lots of folks don't know about it. It is one of the very few good things from Microsoft. :rolleyes: If comes free with XP. Set it up to do regular system check points, like once a week. Also, manually run a system checkpoint before installing any software. If the software goobers up the machine, just restore to the checkpoint and it is gone.