Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #71  
Crows are extremely smart, but not exactly a fair comparison. I had a friend who did hit a crow.

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #72  
I nailed a crow (raven) once. Three of them were feasting on some roadkill (flattened 'something') and, as crows do, waited 'til the last second to fly off as I approached. Two went right and the third started to also, then changed its mind and went left = WAM! Off of the top of my utes windscreen and nothing but black feathers in my rearview mirror.

Folks around here said it was a good luck sign. :)

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #73  
Speaking of dead crows... I did some Googling and came up with an interesting story from Nova Scotia:

The story read that they recently found about 200 dead crows near Halifax, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu.
In doing the research, a Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and he confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, to everyone's relief. However, he determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, and only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.

The Province then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine the disproportionate percentages for truck versus car kills.
The Ornithological Behaviourist determined the cause, the conclusion in short order was:

When crows eat road kill, they always set-up a look-out Crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.

His conclusion was that the lookout crow could say "Cah", but he could not say "Truck."

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #74  
Speaking of dead crows... I did some Googling and came up with an interesting story from Nova Scotia:

The story read that they recently found about 200 dead crows near Halifax, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu.
In doing the research, a Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and he confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, to everyone's relief. However, he determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, and only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.

The Province then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine the disproportionate percentages for truck versus car kills.
The Ornithological Behaviourist determined the cause, the conclusion in short order was:

When crows eat road kill, they always set-up a look-out Crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.

His conclusion was that the lookout crow could say "Cah", but he could not say "Truck."

Thanks I needed a good joke to tell my 91 yr old mom. she likes to call her friends with a new one. Ed

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #75  

Thanks I needed a good joke to tell my 91 yr old mom. she likes to call her friends with a new one. Ed

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #76  
I drive past a flock of ducks for the past couple of years on the way to work. They would cross to road to get to a pond. All was well until one was hit this summer. On the way home half of the flock was scattered on the road and the remainder was looking at the dead ones

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #77  
Saw a nice buck standing at the side of the road last night. Glad it didn't jump out.

/ Squirrels vs Deer -- road warrior smarts #79  
I nailed a crow (raven) once. Three of them were feasting on some roadkill (flattened 'something') and, as crows do, waited 'til the last second to fly off as I approached. Two went right and the third started to also, then changed its mind and went left = WAM! Off of the top of my utes windscreen and nothing but black feathers in my rearview mirror.

I drive past a flock of ducks for the past couple of years on the way to work. They would cross to road to get to a pond. All was well until one was hit this summer. On the way home half of the flock was scattered on the road and the remainder was looking at the dead ones

As a kid, I did not see geese but they have settled into non migrating populations in some parts of NC and they can be a real PITA. Since they are protected and living in cities the population grows and grows and grows.

We have them at work and they are very territorial at nesting time and the dumb birds nest in the medians in the parking lots. :rolleyes: They then attack people walking into the building. On of my coworkers saw a goose attacking a guy riding a motorcycle. The goose was swooping at the guys head as he was going to park. :eek: Danged bird could have caused an accident. Then there is the scat they leave all over the place. I like watching them fly and I love the sound but geese make poor neighbors.

One day I left work and looked down a cross street just in time to see a goose walk out into traffic. POOF! A car going 45-50 mph hit the goose and there was this explosion of down and feathers. :shocked: The front the car all but disappeared in a cloud of feathers and down. It was sick but really funny. :laughing::laughing::laughing: I would think the car took some damage so I don't think the owner was happy.

Later,
Dan