Ssqa snowplow conversion advice needed

/ Ssqa snowplow conversion advice needed #1  

PreacherM

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 2610h
I've got an old Western snowplow model 60214 (6'6") that I want to convert to a SSQA for use on my tractor. The plow is in good shape, but the cylinders are not. I had to cut the pins to get them off. Not sure if they are worth rebuilding? How do I know what size cylinders I need?

Attachments

• 20220705_165302.jpg
    20220705_165302.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 172
  • 20220705_171838.jpg
    20220705_171838.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 171
  • 20220705_172358.jpg
    20220705_172358.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 160
  • 20220705_172411.jpg
    20220705_172411.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 176
   / Ssqa snowplow conversion advice needed #2  
I built mine from an old truck blade 7 1/2' as well. Got the QA blank plate from Titan, did my own welding, Bought replacement used cylinders at a local truck snow plow shop for $25ea. Installed a cushion valve in the middle where the hoses are attached. I ran 2 hoses from one of my rear remotes to the front to angle the blade.

Attachments

• DSCN1979 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1979 (Medium).JPG
    530 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN1980 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1980 (Medium).JPG
    484 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN1981 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1981 (Medium).JPG
    583.2 KB · Views: 162
   / Ssqa snowplow conversion advice needed #3  
Have you priced a good new ssqa blade?!

/ Ssqa snowplow conversion advice needed
No. I seen a used one of Marketplace for 1100. I'll have a few dollars in paint, 160 in 2 new cylinders, similar for hoses and fittings. Approximately 150 in steel. All said and done I should be around 5-600. It sounds like a fun project. Also will need to add the 3rd function on the tractor.

/ Ssqa snowplow conversion advice needed #5  
If you haven't started your build yet, a suggestion.
Mount your blade under your loader and as close to the tractor as you can and still get your desired blade angle.
The under slung mounts discussed in several threads on here keep your blade closer to the tractor,
which has several benefits, the over all length is less, the tractor movement up and down will have less effect on the blade,
the apparent weight will be less.

/ Ssqa snowplow conversion advice needed #6  
Not sure if they are worth rebuilding? How do I know what size cylinders I need?
Swing the "A" frame all the way in either direction, then measure the cylinder mounting holes on both the sides (one side long & the other short). This will tell you your cylinder retracted and extended (stroke) dimensions. Don't be concerned about finding the exact dimension, just don't use one with a longer stroke. Measure the pin diameter that the frame will accept and the required length. Order them all online including the big cotter pins. 👍
If you're handy with fabrication, make your own ssqa plate by either copying another attachment or building it on your tractor, it's simple.

Thanks for the input all. It's a long time til I'll need it, but these projects sometimes take me awhile. I don't have my own welder, torch, or plasma cutter so have to work on it when my brothers shop is available. I'm no engineer but fabricating this shouldn't be difficult. I'm pretty green about hydraulics though. Will probably start a separate thread on the 3rd function install.

/ Ssqa snowplow conversion advice needed #8  
A few of us used this approach:

That's what I'm aiming to do. Great info. I'll mostly be plowing gravel areas, but also a couple concrete garage approaches. The plow probably won't clean the concrete as well as my current garden tractor snowblower, but should do it much quicker.

Got two new cylinders for the snowplow. Planning out the hydraulics for the plow and tractor. I'd like to include a flow restrictor. Will a restrictor on only one hose create the desired affect for both? Or do I need a restrictor on both?