Starlink

/ Starlink #1,171  

i see someone is trying to prevent more satellite launches on environmental grounds....from another satellite provider. so it starts

/ Starlink #1,172  

i see someone is trying to prevent more satellite launches on environmental grounds....from another satellite provider. so it starts
ViaSat has been throwing up roadblocks for years. As you point out, remember the source. So far, I haven't seen them prevail, or even bring up anything very sensible, so I am not sure that there is anything of concern for Starlink.

I mean, I am sure that ViaSat has great faith in their customers and ViaSat knows that there are lots of happy ViaSat customers out there who treasure their ViaSat connection so highly that they would never switch.

Right...

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,173  
Has anyone else noticed a drop in Elon's "better than nothing" internet service lately? When I first signed on it was 6 hops to the internet. I'm now 11+ hops and connections are starting to resemble xplornet quality service.

I've seen downloads up to the 200Mbit range but uploads are struggling to break 5Mbit. Typically I am seeing under 50Mbit downloads with frequent drop outs, VOIP and video chat is a struggle at times.

At least starlink doesn't blame the end user's network for service problems the way xplornet does.

I can generally count on 140 - 220 Mbps down and 15-25 up. I did see a notification recently that they were having problems in my area, but they fixed whatever it was and I'm back to normal now.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,174  
Sub-50Mbit download and 5Mbit upload is 10x my existing Hughes service. At least.

I don't struggle with VOIP or video chat-- since it would be ridiculous to even try.

I need a substantial upgrade just to get to your level of problems. :LOL:
I was paying for 25Mbit service at xplornet...my starlink upload speeds are better than xplornet's actual download speeds

/ Starlink #1,176  
The dish does require power, which it gets from a power supply "brick". The dish has a 100' Ethernet cable built in. (Not RG-6) So, yes, you need to find power within 100'. You need to use the Starlink brick; it is a POE (PowerOver Ethernet) power supply, and Starlink has done some unusual things to get enough power to the dish.
Does anyone know if the 100' Ethernet cable to the dish is "plain vanilla" or if it includes any special wiring to achieve their 56V setup? And, can it be unplugged and removed from both ends, or is either end of it hard wired?

I ask because I found a good location on my property for a Starlink dish-- But it's a little beyond 100' to available power. If I could supply my own (longer) Ethernet cable this would be ideal. A typical Ethernet segment can go 300+ feet but I don't know what special things Starlink may have done ...

/ Starlink #1,177  
Based on a recent tear down by some Belgian security researchers, no, the connector at the antenna is not your standard connector, and requires opening up "Dishy McFlatFace" to get to the ethernet connector. Currently, pun intended, Starlink is pushing a nonstandard amount of power down the cable from their PoE adapter, so making the cable longer is not likely to be successful due to power losses.

By the way, the same researchers noted that their current antenna hardware differs from prior tear downs, so the answer may change, but I don't see much upside to Starlink putting a user accessible RJ45 connector on the antenna as there are so many ways for water and dust to get in and for the cable to get yanked on by wind.

My suggestion would be to run power to wherever the 100' Starlink cable ends, put a weatherproof box with cooling there so you can have the Starlink PoE adapter happy, and run power plus a second Ethernet cable to the box from your house.

Here on the ranch, we have two potential sites for a Starlink antenna; plan A is wireless back to the house, plan B needs the power and ethernet run out to a box for the Starlink PoE adapter. Plan A increases ping times, plan B for me involves some ugly hand trenching. As in really ugly. My plan is to start with the wireless and then go from there. Of course this assumes that I ever get a system...

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,178  
What's the cost for a StarLink system installed and monthly?

/ Starlink #1,179  
Currently $499, plus antenna options and shipping to buy, $99/mo for service. Availability is limited in most areas. You do the installaction.

Saline, MI looks to be mid to late 2021 availability at the moment.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,180  
Does anyone know if the 100' Ethernet cable to the dish is "plain vanilla" or if it includes any special wiring to achieve their 56V setup? And, can it be unplugged and removed from both ends, or is either end of it hard wired?

I ask because I found a good location on my property for a Starlink dish-- But it's a little beyond 100' to available power. If I could supply my own (longer) Ethernet cable this would be ideal. A typical Ethernet segment can go 300+ feet but I don't know what special things Starlink may have done ...

As mentioned, no the cable cannot be disconnected from the dish. And it is suspected that it is not a standard Cat 6e cable due to the power requirements. The suggested option if you need the dish further then 100' (of cable) from your indoor location is to have a weather-protected place with power to house the controller, then use a longer standard Cat 6e cable to connect the controller to the Starlink router (or you own router).

Rob